Clear all

Microphones

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I am probably going to start recording vocals, guitar (6-string and bass, if i can) and also drums. I was just wondering, I was going to record using my computer but i'm not sure what kind of microphone would be best; I mainly just want something that would be good for guitar and vocals, if i can use it to record drums, then that's definitely a plus.

I'm just curious about what kind of mic would be best for that situation, and obviously i know that a drum set will sound better mic-ed through several mics but i won't worry about that until later.

Steve-0

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I bought the MXL 990 Combo and can't really complain. Works well for vocals and guitar. You would want to invest in a quality pop filter for the vocal.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, it looks like it has everything I would need and the price isn't too bad, just a couple of questions: whats a pop filter and approxametly how much do they run for, and also, do the mics have a fairly long cable so I could record in another room or would I need to buy extra cables?

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

The pop filter is put in front of the vocal mic to stop any "popping sounds" from your vocals. I bought the Groove Tubes PF-1 Pop Filter for $50 (steel screen, or what the ever the material is). They make some type of cloth ones (I think nylon) for around $25-$30. Sorry not an expert here.

Cables are another story, you can get them in what ever length you want. I have a lot of them and they can be expensive. Plus mic stands, you can get up there in price.

I think I spent around @ $300 (could be less, but not by much) for 2 mic stands (both DR Pro), XLR to XLR Mic cables (Monster Cable), and the MXL 990 mics.

Nothing is cheap. If you want cheap…. you get cheap.

Another thing, you will need phantom power to run the condenser mic (vocal mic). You can pick up a 2-4 channel mixer for around $80-$100. Look under “Behringer Mixers” in MF. I have the Eurorack UB1222FX-Pro. I bought it for $180. Definitely a nice buy!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Yessir, a good mic is the way to go for high quality sound, but you're also going to need phantom power (as tracker mentioned) and a decent analog to digital conversion unit. That generally comes in the form of a stand-alone box with a USB or FireWire interface or in the form of a soundcard. It doesn't have to be expensive, but your stock computer input was meant to receive sound to go with your webcam, don't expect high fidelity results from it.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@maxwell)
Estimable Member

I just posted this on a different topic. I'd also like to point out that I have been very happy with the M-Audio Mobile-Pre USB interface for recording at home. Check sweetwater.com, or musiciansfriend.com for refurbished units and you can usually save a few bucks. Got mine at Guitar Center for $89.00 because someone returned it in a torn box.

I have used several thousand dollars worth of mics of every type and description ( but still haven't scratched the surface of what is available). Bottom line, if you can only buy one mic, buy the Shure SM 57. It is an excellent mic for nearly any instrument recording, is quite good as a vocal mic, and is as close to indestructable as a mic can be.

My favorite mic for most vocal types was the AKG414, until I bought a Nady SCM900 for 36 bucks brand new, a slight savings over the $1000.00 cost of the AKG. I haven't used it much yet, but find it quite comparable (to the ear) with the AKG414. I couldn't believe the quality of sound for that price. I still think someone in the factory screwed up and put the wrong capsule in the mic! I have not yet tried the Nady on anything but vocals.

I also bought a mic/stand/cable package from Musician's Friend for $20.00 just to have something to always keep set up to record ideas before they get lost ( I have kids and dare not leave the good stuff out). The stand is good, the cable is OK, and the mic works for that purpose, but if you are recording for ears other than your own, this mic won't cut the mustard. Its still a heck of a deal for a stand and cable: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/277031/

He not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan (It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding)

ReplyQuote
(@maxwell)
Estimable Member

An effective, but not pretty, pop-filter can be made by stretching a woman's nylon stocking over a wire frame. It works as well as the popfilters you pay 20-30 bucks for. Just make sure your wife/girlfriend doesn't see it or you'll have some explaining to do!

Another purpose the pop filter serves is to protect your mic from spittle, smokey breath, and other airborne objects projected from the human mouth.

He not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan (It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

if you're going to record drums you will need to get a mixer (size depends on the number of drum elements) and mic each drum and cymbol seperately, run them into the mixer, do your leveling there, and then send from the mixer to your sound card (or a next stage mixer if you're doing vocals and other instruments as well).

You'll need some mic stands and a set of mics for the drums as well.

In order to record drums so they sound good, you just have to spend some money. There's no getting around it.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

An effective, but not pretty, pop-filter can be made by stretching a woman's nylon stocking over a wire frame. It works as well as the popfilters you pay 20-30 bucks for. Just make sure your wife/girlfriend doesn't see it or you'll have some explaining to do!

Another purpose the pop filter serves is to protect your mic from spittle, smokey breath, and other airborne objects projected from the human mouth.

you can get a cross stitch hoop ( a small one) at a dollar store, its about 6" in diameter. if you buy the nylons at the dollar store the total cost is about $2 ( $1 if you steel a pair from your wife, girlfriend, or mother) :lol: --the dog

BTW-you can't go wrong with the SM57 :D 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote