mixer feedback, a whole lot of it!

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@johnnywhiteshoes)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hey all at GN,
the other day i bought a behringer xenyx1002FX mixer for AUS$140 (RRP AUS$180 - $200, a bargain i believe) and today i just started using it on my computer.
i hav been playing around with it trying to learn some things, plugging in my electric guitar to test and get some good settings developed. sadly the quality of the guitar sounds bad with a lot of muddy feedback when the pick up switch is up (i dont know the tech term for it when the switch is closer to me).
iv been trying to resolve this by experimenting with the 3-band equalizers, the low cut and the volume but i dont seem to be getting anywhere.
does anyone hav any tips or helpful hints to resolve this problem, someone who has/had one of these mixers and can tell me some good setting for all the EQ, gain, etc.

thanks in advance

Jordan

"If you give a man a Les Paul guitar, he doesn't become Eric Clapton. If you give a man an amp and a synthesizer, he doesn't become whoever. He doesn't become us." - Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Are you using a strat or strat style guitar??? if so, the switch in the position you indicate is the neck pickup......

This pickup will sound more of the fundamental frequency of whatever you're playing (due to it's position along the string) what this means is that the signal coming out will sound bassier.....

Does your guitar sound fine when the switch is in the neck pickup position when playing through an amp ? if so, i would be looking at the speakers you are using to monitor this signal....

If the output sounds fine when the pickup switch is the other positions (ie. the other pickups/combinations), then i would think it is the speakers you are using to monitor the signal from your mixer.

Your mixer, by definition of how a mixer works, should have no effect on the sound difference between the pickups...

Also, I've noticed with cheap equipment (pickups, cables, amps, speakers/monitors) there is a tendency for the signal to sound muddy when playing chords (esp 5 and 6 string chords) using the neck pickup but sounds reasonable when playing single notes....

My point: i doubt it's the mixet that's causing this problem.

please tell us a bit more about your ENTIRE rig...

Peace

J

Does your guitar have poor quality (read: cheap) pickups ? Does this only happen when strumming chords or playing single notes ?

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@johnnywhiteshoes)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks Jmin7b5 for the reply,

my setup besides my amp (randall 60watt), mixer (behringer xenyx1002FX), leads, behringer x v amp, is pretty basic. i use audacity to record, i hav a cheap sound card (still gets the job done) in an ok (windows xp) computer, instead of moniters i use some speakers (which are good ones, but that still might not be enough) and my guitar is ok (well i guess its had better days).

i don't think its my speakers because half the time i listen to what im playing by pluging my akg k-55 stereo headphones straight into the mixer (still results in feedback, fuzz, whatever being heard).

my guitar is a strat styled electric, nothing special, hasn't been modified in anyway like pickups, strings (i had to use an acoustic 1st E string because others keep braking), etc. im thinking of saving up for a fender strat or tele, but that will take quite some time. i hav a feeling that it is the guitars fault.

i hav been trying the guitar-mixer more and im getting a less fuzzier sound coming out but it still sounds muddy when playing chords (like you stated), however this results in a weaker sound being recorded, and giving more volume through the computer is bad (causes that buzz in the background).

anyway after all that, any suggestions or tips to fix my problem

thanks

Jordan

"If you give a man a Les Paul guitar, he doesn't become Eric Clapton. If you give a man an amp and a synthesizer, he doesn't become whoever. He doesn't become us." - Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

You are gonna have to do some troubleshooting to narrow down where the problem is....

From your last post it seems like your are only getting the muddiness/feedback noise when using your neck pickup... is this correct ??

If so, how does the neck pickup sound when played ONLY through your V-amp using headphones ??? how about ONLY through the V-amp using your speakers ?? how about ONLY through your amp ???... this should help you define which piece of your equipment is causing the problem...

Maybe the muddiness is only happening when connecting to your new mixer... If so, maybe your gain is set too high for the channel your guitar is using. turn your gain/trim down... does this help ??? (is there a CLIP light blinking on your mixer when you play ?)

If there is noise/muddiness/feedback in ALL of these scenarios i would be pointing the finger at your guitar/pickup.
If the muddiness is only through your speakers i would point the finger at them....

You need to try different combinations of your gear to isolate where this noise is coming from so you can eliminate it.

Good luck..

Let me know how you go....

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@terry1)

iF you are pluging directly into the mixer i beleive you maybe using a line level input with out any preamps, check the manuel and see if im right. if so see if your amp has a output to plug into your mixer if it does not dont even attempt it you may over load your mixer. double check your manual before attempting.

ReplyQuote