Mixing question

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi all

I have recorded this song about ANZAC soldiers , I'll supply a link for anyone who wishes to know more about them ..

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/

If you click on my link with my music and click on
" THE DEAD STAY SILENT "

My question is I am looking for a real haunting echo death ridden song here .. But I feel the reverb is a tad too high , is there any suggestion of how I can improve this song with out lossing the mood of it ?

Remember this about the song it's about Aussie men at war during WW2

Thanks in advance

Hilch :?:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

I don't know what software you use but you can play around with some of the effects and then undo them if you don't like it. For instance maybe a phaser effect on the original track, or do a separate track play a redundant melody and use the reverse effect, see what you get

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

Well its so subjective, but I would take ALOT of the reverb of the voice. It sounds muddy and loses the spooky effect for me anyway. Alot of what your after is going to be in the eq. Play around with the amount of mids and stuff, and put the vocals back in the mix abit. A trick I use most of the time is to spread out the guitar. By that I mean make the guitar into 2 tracks and then put one all the way left and the other all the way right. Then you can leave the voice in the center and it fills out the mix.

Overall I think you could get a spooky effect without the effects. Usually no matter what I am mixing i try to do it dry and make it sound the way I want then add effects only to improve if it will improve it.

Just my 2 cents

ReplyQuote
(@maxx)
Eminent Member

Wow... It's been a really long time since I posted here last!

I'm with ctrain on this one. I see what you're going for with the effects, but you've got things so "wet" that they're muddled. There's no reason that you can't have your cake and eat it too though! I'm sure that some more knowlegable studiomeisters might have their own tricks of the trade to offer - but here are a couple of things that I've done in the past...

When you know you're going to be using really heavy effects in a song go ahead and keep a "dry" copy of eack track that you're adding effects too. If things start to loose clarity just bring the dry track in over the top. Enough that you can gain back the clarity, but still have the effects you want.

Something else I've done a couple of times that sort of ties in with the above... You have two copies of a track - one dry and one wet (really really wet if you want it) - one over the other. Now try to use opposite (or opposing) eq settings on each track in such a way that they have a good frequency balance together, but are distinct of eachother due to each ones individual equalization. I'm not sure if I'm portraying this very well - so if anyone wants to elaborate feel free. But I've done this with different effects and have been able to get anything from subtle to over-the-top results. You can get some pretty funky moods if you offset the effected track from the dry one too.

Just play around with it untill you get what you want. But don't sacrifice clarity! Hope I've helped.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Another thing you could try is turning the effect up to where you want it (echo with a lot of repeats so it's almost at runaway, and reverb regen turned up so it's almost at feedback), and then, on the mixer's efx blend control, mix just a tiny hairbreadth's amount of the effect into it. It would be similar as above where you have a dry version and a efx version and mix them together; you have mostly voice, and then this huge wash of effects, but they're way off in the distance and the voice (or instrument) is still distinct.

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feed back

It is really appreciated

hilch :?:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am