Clear all

Muffled Audacity recordings

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So I have been trying to do some basic recordings of my playing. I plug my guitar into the mixer Behringer UB1202 and then it feeds into the computer. The recordings are very quiet and seem muffled. Should I be miking the amp and then into the mixer or could it be a sound card issue? Or is there better recording programs that don't have this issue? It seems that alot of others on this forum use audacity with good results. Any thoughts appreciated.
Robbie
Edit: I am using a Dell PC with lots of RAM but with the stock sound card.

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Have you opened your "WINDOWS" Sound controller?

Do so and make sure your levels are set (to preference) and you 'line' or 'mic' is unchecked (unmuted).

Also in audacity, which ever input you choose you have a master level for that as well...(which I constantly adjust) when I use it. Its the slider next to the MIC icon and the drop down box to choose the input source.

When ever I record, be it in Audacity, Live, Tracktion or what ever.....
I always always record a few 'rehearsal' tracks...not only to 'warm up' but to adjust the levels etc.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx Dagwood I'll refine my settings and give that a try. Have to be away for a couple of days but will try to record when I get home and let you know.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I import to Audacity from a 24-track hard disc recorder and the first thing I have to do is amplify the imported files.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you plug in your electric guitar directly you´ll be feeding your mixer a very low signal. Use a DI Box, cheap modeler or whatever to improve it. Both volume, tone, feel and everything. A simple Zoom G2 should improve your recordings 100x.

ReplyQuote