Clear all

New Audio Interface Question(s)

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm hoping someone on here can help with this...

I have a G5 Mac which crashed last year. I reinstalled on a new 1TB hard drive using Tiger OS disc that I had subsequently bought on its release. But my interface requires Classic to run, and Classic doesn't come on the Tiger discs. I have reached new levels of plankishness by not being able to find the original G5 install disc, so I can't record until I get the situation resolved. Any ideas on how I might do this? Other than the obvious of finding that disc, of course. Can I acquire a fresh G5 install disc? Or the Classic software on its own? Could a new interface get around the problem of needing Classic at all? Any thoughts/suggestions would be massively appreciated.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Scrybe, you Luddite you, how old is that interface, anyway? :shock: :wink:

I only had vague memories of Classic so I had to look this up;

"Can the Power Macintosh G5 run MacOS 9/Classic applications?
None of the Power Macintosh G5 models are capable of booting MacOS 9, but all can run MacOS 9 applications with the MacOS X "Classic Environment". Apple provides no support for the "Classic Environment" on Macs released after the Power Macintosh G5 series."

So, no standalone Classic/OS 9 software for your machine. And no chance your interface will function if and when you move to a newer machine.

"Could a new interface get around the problem of needing Classic at all?"

No question. That's where to put your money.
Used is still an option. My Tascam (the original 122) is maybe 7 or 8 years old and continues to work flawlessly on my Intel tower.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sweet! I get to go shopping!!!

I'll start looking at suitable interfaces now, but if anyone has any recommends/warnings, I'd love to hear them.

Here's what I'll be after (this may get updated, I'm knackered)

• must be able to take guitar, mic, and midi inputs.

• I want to be able to record at least two tracks at a time (most likely two mics, or one mic and one guitar), preferably with flexibility on the inputs I can use in these situations. the more tracks I can record, the better (without the price getting too out of hand, or quality nose-diving). I'm thinking at least 4 tracks.

• I'm thinking USB connection, but I'm open to suggestions. I have the option of connecting via firewire, which I've heard is more stable, but I've also read that usb 2.0 is becoming standard and need to think about the future (on the other hand, by the time I switch computers, I'll probably have enough to switch interfaces, too).

• phantom power is good but not necessary. However, I must be able to switch the phantom power bit off when I want to use my RNP preamp (at least, I think I do - I'm pretty sure being able to switch off PP to individual tracks would be a great feature for me)

• My budget will max out around £500 but there is some leeway. Let's say I have a grand to spend, but other things to buy also; so a range of options price wise would be awesome. I may well spend less than £500 (I really want to spend less than that, but up to £500 would be my 'comfort zone')

• also, is there a great deal of improvement in, say, gear costing £150 and gear costing £500? Should I perhaps go cheap and use the left over to kick start saving for some serious quality? I'll be recording my practices, GN jams, but also tracks that will be heard by professional musicians (no offence here to GN folk, I mean ones I'm physically around and may get to work with/for), so I obviously need them to sound as good as possible.

• how big a part will the interface play in overall sound quality? I'll be using Nuendo to record in, and tube amps and decent guitars. The mics are low-mid range (I.e. £100-350 each).

If I think of anything more, I'll post it.

Thanks boxboy!!!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

I've been using the motu ultralite for a few years now and love it! seems to have everything you listed.

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I use Audio Kontrol 1 and I am happy with it. It has all your requirements. I'm not sure if it is able to record two mics simultaneously, mic+guitar for sure! Phantom power, MIDI, USB, Mac, aprox. 300€, several software packages, etc. My SoundClick files are recorded with it.

Let me know if you need a specific test or info!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Meh. I've decided what interface I'm almost certainly going to get. But the darn (I mean "lovely, kind and efficient", really, I do) government won't be paying up for at least 4-5 weeks. So no recording (or nice big speakers for music listening) for over a month! I'm sure this violates my human rights, so the UN will be hearing from me shortly...

Anyway, thanks for the responses, but I've decided not to go with any of them. I was tempted by the gorgeous Lexicon I-Onix http://www.thomann.de/gb/lexicon_ionix_u42s.htm?sid=4c159c9e2e0ebb821b0015ba3c8120b9 after dogbite recommended that brand. Heck, I can see this thing sitting in among my kit and I want it so bad (click the link, it's super-style). But it only has two outs, and I need/want more.

So I'm almost certainly going with the bargainous M-Audio ProFire 26262 http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_profire_2626.htm which I've seen available at other stores as low as £350. Eight tasty pres, tons of ins-outs, the somewhat unnecessary 192kHz sample rate, and the possibility of daisy-chaining more of these babies should I need to. Seriously, if anyone else is on the hunt for a good interface, this one is unbelievable given the price tag. I've got a month, so I'm not closing my ears to other possibilities, but I think this is gonna be my baby.

On a more general note, I gotta give props to M-Audio for making some great quality recording gear. This piece of kit leaves me astounded, and I love my M-Audio Axiom 61 keyboard (I'm gonna spend some of the month-long analog wait learning how to better programme that thing), plus they make some great budget microphones too.

Again, thanks for the responses, but when I came across the M-Audio I realised it is almost certainly the best piece of kit for me needs.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good price on a firewire digital interface. m audio makes some pretty good stuff.
(I use M audio Oxygen mi9di keyboard controller. not bad. low cost. but it has acted up lately. it plays hide and seek with my recording software all of a sudden).
26 Ins and Outs is a lot. why? are you recording a string orchestra? you'll be able to live mike a drum and band easily. cool.

I will be curious how this works out for you.
a month is long when you have to wait for candy. bummer.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well 16 of those ins/outs are ADAT which I'll probably not use, but I wanted to be able to record four mics/guitars simultaneously minimum, and in this price range the 2626 was the best for that job. If need ever arises to use the ADAT, then it's there and a bonus. In some ways, this piece of kit is too good for my needs, but it's like a case of a beginner guitarist being offered an Am Strat or a Squier with the Am Strat priced cheaper than the Squier. They may not need the Am Strat, but at those prices they'd be fool to choose the Squier.

That said, props for turning me on the Lexicon - they make some really good gear! And I want that I-Onix sooooo badly (I can see how awesome it would look on my desk), but it's eye candy compared to the 2626. If I win the lottery I'll get me some of that eye candy for sure though (and some of their outboard processors, also very tasty).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote