Skip to content
Newbie - Basic Drum...

Notifications
Clear all

Newbie - Basic Drum Loop software or hardware?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@timba33)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Total newbie here. I really hate working with a metronome, and would like to practice my guitar strumming, and basic songs to a nice drum beat instead. I have checked out the Toneport, V-Amp, Line 6 PoD, etc online, but am getting confused as to what is really needed. The Toneport, Pod, V-amps sound cool, and the virtual amp modeling looks really neat, and would be nice for some bluesy tones. I need something cheap and easy to create some simple beats to play along with. And when I say easy to use, I mean something a newbie with absolutely no experience with recording software or terminology. Something where I could just add a bass drum beat, a snare, maybe a cymbal, and tweak the BPM rate to make it work with the timing of a song I play along with. I'm talking basic songs, Brown Eyed Girl, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Classic rock, Eagles, Blues 12 bar progressions, etc.

I have downloaded Audacity, and Hammerhead. Hammerhead is a bit techno for me, but seems easy to use.

Can you create drum beats/loops with Audicity? or is it just a mixing application?

Is there another free program for making basic beats that isn't as techno as Hammerhead?

I'm can spend $100-$150 on hardware if need be, and all I need at this point is the software or hardware to get me going.

Can some kind soul set me in the right direction with a basic setup, and or steps?

Hook me up !!!

Thanks,

Tim

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I use Acid Music Studio and Beta Monkey Loops. Check out http://betamonkeymusic.com As far as software is concerned you could download and use Acid Express for free and legally. Put your loops together and export them to wav then you can import them to whatever DAW you are using.

I have to say though that I'm looking forward to buying EZ drumer and various expansions.
http://www.soundsonline.com/EZ-Drummer-pr-TT106.html Looks to be the most versatile software I've seen.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Thanks a bunch for the link to EZDrummer, Hueseph, it looks awesome. I've been looking for either a drum machine or suitable software for some time now and haven't really found the right one for me. I have just checked out this video and I'm pretty sure I've found what I'm looking for. It also interfaces nicely with Logic Express which I am currently getting to grips with.

I've just googled it to see if i can find it any cheaper than on the Toontrack website and I've found this. The funny thing is they are selling EZDrummer on it's own without the expansion pack for the same price. Hmm! Which should I go for. :roll:

Thanks again for the link.

@ Timba33: Don't dismiss the metronome completely. I hate the thing and would rather play to a drum track or backing track but it is still an invaluable aid to practice timing.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

For really basic drum beats without any programming you can use one of those portable electronic keyboards . They're easily moved from place to place and don't require any software or additional hardware . They can also be hooked up to your amp if you have a input for a CD player or multiple input jacks . Heck , they can even be played if so desired !!!

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@timba33)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi, thanks for the responses !!

I was playing around with Hammerhead, and found a few different User Banks for Acoustic drum sounds. They are right on the Hammerhead front page. After I figured it out, I mad a simple beat with Bass drum, snare and High Hat in about 5 minutes. Sounds much better.

I also found a site with an incredible amount of real drum samples you can use to put together your own loops. It would take a while, as each sample is just one beat, but you could make some incredible beats with it. Called Natural Studio, NS_KIT7 http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/
They have a free zipfile of 1000's of samples here http://naturalstudio.co.uk/bb/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=1bbc245f81018fab9f2b04619e0b81aa , or you can purchase a DVD's with even more. I downloaded the free kit, here, and if I ever have a free MONTH to play with it, maybe I could make something nice, looks like a bit of work, though.

One more question regarding Line 6 Toneport and Line 6 Pod's.... They look really interesting with the amp modeling. I have a MIM strat that I just installed an american strat pickguard loaded with american pickups/pots/etc (Sounds SOOO much better) with a VOX Pathfinder 15R I use now. I'd love to get those classic tones out of my guitar (yeah, I know, it takes playing talent as well !!)

The Toneport UX1/UX2 looks easier to use, as it has the nice intuitive software interface to all the controls, whereas the POD type products seem a bit complicated with all the dials/buttons.

Anyone have experience, or cautionary words of wisdom on these or other V-amp type products?

ReplyQuote
(@timba33)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi, slightly off my original topic, but I bought a PODxt. Got a great price from http://www.jandr.com . If you call the phone order #, you can ask for a better price, I got it $60 cheaper than the best price I saw anywhere online.

A bit much for me now, but I figure I will learn what can be done to get a great, or at least great for me, tone out of my guitar. It is great for Headphone practice and recording. To a newbie, like me (about 8 months playing so far, mostly acoustic), they sound incredible, I'm sure they can be tweaked to sound even better.

Played around a bit with Reaper, and wow, you think you can play something well but listening to yourself, yikes, what a wakeup !! every little mistake jumps out, bad timing, etc.

Time to practice to the metronome and drum beats more.

This board is great !! I've learned tons just by lurking.

-Tim

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Congrats on the PODXT. I recently bought an XT Live and I love it. As you said, great for quiet practice with headphones. It also sounds great for recording into the computer and is awesome through an amp.

Just to update on the drum software. I got a copy of EZDrummer. It's a great piece of software. It came with a free expansion pack (I opted for the Drum Kit From Hell pack) - an offer that is on until the end of May. I now have enough drums to keep me busy into old age. Highly recommend this package. Just a point to note though it is a plugin for software such as Cubase, Logic etc and not a stand alone program. Check their website for compatibility.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote