No playback in Audacity

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I recently recorded some .WAV files on my M-Audio Microtrack 24/96, then imported them into Audacity. Audacity played back the original files -- but when I saved the files as Audacity projects, the saved versions will not play back. I've adjusted every I/O and audio-volume parameter I can find, with no luck. Computer is a stock Dell Latitude 6400 laptop. Any clues will be appreciated. Thanks!

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Are you using ASIO? I have problem from time to time if I have something using the output (speakers in my case) and open up Reaper or other. We'll say it's Windows media Player. I have to kill that and restart Reaper (or Band in a box or Real Band, whatever I'm using) for any sound to dome out. sometimes I have to re-set ASIO4ALL driver and I've even had to point to the proper output channels' range from within Reaper to get the sound out.. It's a bit of a pain. It's almost as if ASIO does not like more than one thing getting to the speakers. Very selfish.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm ignorant -- had to google ASIO.... Apparently not using ASIO. Interestingly, .mp3 files made on the Microtrack and imported/saved in Audacity play back with no problem. .WAV files won't.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I just tried a little experiment. I'm on a Mac but here goes:
If I import a wav file and then save as an Audacity project I get a dialog box asking if I want to copy the audio to the project folder (or words to that effect). If I do 'copy audio', things work/play fine when I reopen the Audacity file. If I don't, the reopened file has a 'slug' of the supposed linked file but it's empty. No waveform. Of course that means it's silent.
If I do the above, with an mp3 instead, I don't get the 'copy audio?' dialog and all is well when I reopen the saved Audacity file.
So Audacity seemingly treats projects saved with mp3 or wav files differently and you have to do the copy audio function with a wav.
So maybe the simplest troubleshoot:
When you reopen the Audacity file with a wav, do you see a waveform? Or is it just a flatline? If it's flatline, the app doesn't know where the corresponding audio file is.

Don

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

There's a waveform, pretty much identical to the one from the original file. And I got no dialog boxes when saving these as .AUPs.

Another interesting detail: When I open the saved .WAVs/AUPs and hit play, the cursor doesn't move -- play button doesn't stay down. If I move the cursor farther into the file, the cursor moves. No playback, no signal in the output meters, but it DOES move.

This is Windows XP Pro, SP3, running Audacity 1.2.6 -- latest version other than beta. And this is my first experience with .WAV files in Audacity, although I did some podcasts using mp3's. And I've tried googling this problem but get no answers.

I miss my Fostex X-15! :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

What's your sound card?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

IDT HD Audio Codec. Forums elsewhere seem to show no clear solution to the problem so far.

XP Pro is a reinstall (two weeks ago) on a brand-new hard drive. Auto Update is on, so my drivers should all be up-to-date, no?

I'm going to try .WAV files from other sources like the onboard mic. Maybe Audacity doesn't like my Microtrack?

ReplyQuote