Notifications
Clear all

Problems with Audacity and laptop

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tamara)
Topic starter  

I've been lurking on these boards for awhile now and hoped someone here could help me with a problem. I used to record using Audacity and a decent mic on my desktop computer. A couple months ago I got a laptop and began trying to record with the laptop instead but I started having problems recording. It skips a fraction of a second in the middle of recording and barely picks up a guitar just playing single notes. It will record, but sounds distorted. It seems to record better the louder I play, yet usually won't record without the skips. If I stop playing and singing for a moment, the recording won't even pick up the usual noise from the room. It goes completely silent. I tested a different mic and then downloaded Kristal which worked for the first couple recordings and then began doing the exact same thing. It has to be the laptop, but does anyone know what is causing it? I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

Thank you!

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It seems like a delay in the recording due to the buffers are full, perhaps the hard disk is very partitioned and there are not enough time to move the data from the memory to the disk. Does the problem arise always at the same instant? I mean, for example, after 45 seconds?

Just an idea, I don't use Audacity now.

Good luck and welcome to GN!

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Your description of the problems indicates that the CPU and/or RAM is overloaded.
Try to close all programs/processes you don´t need to use during recording.
Here is smart utility to do that http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/enditall.htm
/Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@tamara)
Topic starter  

No, it doesn't do it at a specific time that I can tell. It seems to be completely random. Thanks for the help! I'll check out that link and see if it helps.

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote