random BSoDs

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

been getting these seemingly randomly
error message IRQL not less or equal Stop 0x0000000A etc suggests either hardware or software.

before i go tearing into the motherboard i wanted to ask if anyone has tried to run 2 soundcards at the same time?

i am using an m-audio 2496 audiophile for recording and a SB audigy for playback.
is there a tweak i need to use to make this work or are the settings in the xp audio manager sufficient?

i'm thinking that the 2 may be conflicting occasionally but i really don't know because i have been able to make it work.

my suspicions on the BSoD is that it's a memory failure but that has yet to be tested

#4491....

(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

I've seen this before. Try re-creating your pagefile. You can do this by right clicking my computer, click properties, click the advanced tab, click the settings button under "performance". Click the advanced tab and then click the "Change" button. Select "no paging file", OK out of everything, and then restart. When it comes back up, go back into the same screen and re-enable the paging file. OK out of everything and click restart.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

ok i see no harm in trying this.
i reset it to 3000 for giggles
thanx for the suggestion.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

woke up to another BSoD with the same error code, guess it's time for some "in depth" research.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0X0000000A
(0X00000004,0X0000001C,0X00000001,0X8050186E)

i tested the memory in another machine so i'm relatively sure it's ok, my suspicions are that my MOBO config is one with only 3 pci slots and i'm trying to run 2 soundcards and an ethernet modem.
since most modern MOBOs share irqs across pci slots i'm afraid that this might be a case of these 3 not getting along.

i've used the 2 soundcards in unison in the past without obvious problems, so i'm leaning toward thinking it may be the modem card acting up. i'm going to remove it and let the beast idle today and see if the BSOD rears it's ugly head again.

thanx in advance for any suggestions or insight.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

update, while going through the suggested MS method laundry list of fixes, i decided on the most painless (free) steps first and started removing and updating/replacing drivers when suddenly out of nowhere my APC UPS kicked off!.

i'm hoping that my having overlooked the upgrade to a much bigger PSU may be the culprit here.
i think that the new PSU upgrade and the other stuff i have hooked up to my old APC may be causing occasional power flow problems resulting in an auto shut down.
it stands to reason that the Error code message starting with 0X0000000A would cover this type of episode.
i think i need a bigger APC unit

#4491....

ReplyQuote