Clear all

Reaper

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

First, i'm not affiliated with this project other than the fact that I've drunk the cool-aide and become a REAPER fanatic.

Well, I've got to say, Reaper is making huge progress on the recording front.

For those that don't know . . .it's a recording/mixing tool that's made by the same guy that does winamp.

It's not freeware . . but it is free to try and the license is really inexpensive.

If you hang out at cubase and sonar forums (not the company one's of course) you'll see a lot of users of those high end products moving to Reaper for alot of their work.

It does some things really really well the routing capabilities blow away even much higher end software. The developers are seriously responsive to community requests too ..

the only negative, in fact, that I have on this software, is that they have a new update practically every day.

Try it .. honestly it blows Audacity out of the water in my book. It honestly competes with $500 software packages for 1/10th the price.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

It's not freeware . . but it is free to try and the license is really inexpensive.

The early versions were freeware -- in fact, I think versions 0.99 and earlier may still be downloadable as free versions.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

When they went past version 0.999, they said 0.999 would be free but unsupported, and that versions 1.0+ would be licenced and supported... but looking around the site I can see no mention of that any more.

Assuming it is still free, you can get to 0.999 though by going back through several pages of previous versions.

I've not got around to trying anything other than 0.999, and the screenshots of the latest version look like a totally different (and vastly superior) program. I'll give the latest Reaper a go some time soon. :wink:

KP: I didn't realise it was by the winamp people, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing... I love winamp 3, but I hated the newer ones - too much uneccessary clutter that doesn't work properly :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It is free to try for 30 days, btw.

After that, it still keeps on working, but they ask that you license it at that point.

And remember, WinAmp didn't become a cluttered jumbled mess until it got corporate sponsorship . .. when it was just a hobby project (as REAPER is) it was a wonderous thing :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It is free to try for 30 days, btw.

After that, it still keeps on working, but they ask that you license it at that point.
Wow, uncrippled too - not much of that around these days. I shall give it a good thrashing when I get enough time to it justice.
And remember, WinAmp didn't become a cluttered jumbled mess until it got corporate sponsorship . .. when it was just a hobby project (as REAPER is) it was a wonderous thing
Ahh, that would explain it. V3 was/is pretty much perfect for me, i'd go along with wonderous :)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I've still barely scratched the surface, but it deserves at least a little mid-tinkering praise. I'm like a kid in a candy store so far. Everything makes sense, everthing is as easy as it can be given whatever complixity it has, and everything does what you barely dare to hope it might be able to, plus things you hadn't even thought of. It makes Audacity look 20 years old :wink:

Another fanatic in the making, I think. :)

ReplyQuote
(@matsuemon)
Estimable Member

Yah I've been toying with Reaper a lot lately, too, and it's impressive no doubt. But, the only problem I'm having, and have been unable to resolve, is it won't load up my Amplitube 2 as a plugin, but it does show up in other software I have. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I've already done the "clear cache" and "rescan plugins" thing and it didn't work.

ReplyQuote