Notifications
Clear all

record player sounds fuzzy near the end of a record

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@cammy511)
Topic starter  

I know this kinda doesen't belong here, but my record player is sounding fuzzy when i put it near the end of a record, it hasent been used in almost twenty years, can somone tell me whats wrong?

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hi Cammy good to hear from you! I may not have the answer but just wanna say 'atta person/boy for asking. :D

I 've been doing a little research on old record turntables for most of this year with my son, and acquiring new Rega technology, with old school NAD pre-amplification, amplification, moving magnet and moving coil reading, soft clipping and even newer old school CD and laser 3-point, gear driven disc tracking, 16 - 20 bit processing and so on and no belts.

Whatever is wrong, I can only guess, and I hear it too with my records on the older turntable equipment. I think it has to do with the older ceramic cartridges or diamond stylus needles, combined with the fact that the record at 33 1/3 rpm is moving slower on the inside, compared to the high speed outside or perimeters. It's hard to explain, since the overall speed is steady, except I believe that engineers who first designed lateral disc records (after the first Edison-style cylinders), placed the bumps or whatever they are called (I don't mean ridges, grooves or walls - I mean the actual hills and dales) further apart near the outside, and compensated by placing them closer together at the inside.

However your counterweight does not change as you get near the end of a record and tracking force or stylus force in mN, plus the fact that anti-skating lateral force could be higher toward the centre, due to a smaller radius, means more wow and flutter and rumble. That's what I was trying to come to, and have assumed there is more rumble over the bumps near the center. That was my answer. :roll:

Engineering requirements of any tone arm as follows are contradictory and impossible to realize so there is compromise.

The tone arm must track the groove without distorting the stylus assembly, so an ideal arm would have no mass, with bearings requiring zero force to move it.

The arm should not oscillate following a displacement, so it should either be both light and very stiff, or suitably damped.
The arm must not resonate with vibrations induced by the stylus or from the turntable motor or plinth, so it must likewise be heavy enough not to resonate at those frequencies, or it must be damped to absorb vibrations.

The arm should maintain a perfect alignment of the cartridge to the tangent of the record groove at any radius from the center and this tangent line should intersect the pivot point of the tone arm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph

If you're interested, I borrowed someone's shortest video of the Rega's principles at work, only 1 minute and 47 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj8HCoRrk34

Not Thomas Edison or Alexander Graham Bell, Bang & Olufsen or Herbie Hancock's Rockit but neverthelss attentive help.

??? :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@cammy511)
Topic starter  

Thank you very much for replying and yess it takes almost no force to move the arm the cartrige is straight, I did some reasearch on google myself and it said that the age of the player indacates that it has a carbon tiped needle, which wear out quicker than diamond tiped, and that this happening is a result of the needle having a chisle like edge from use and sitting for years, so since every adjustment I have tried has not made things better or worse i suspect that the needle is done... I found a new one thats only fifteen dollars, thank you very much for your post, it contains a lot of info i did not know, have a great day!

ReplyQuote
(@cammy511)
Topic starter  

That Rega Video is soooooooooooooooooooooo coool :D

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

You're welcome. I agree that your research with the carbon tipped needle is bang on! All the best! :note2:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote