Clear all

Recording hints?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Excitement builds as my band prepares to record our first EP (4 or 5 songs) We're going on a road trip to good ole cardiff, where we have the free use of a friend of a friend's studio!! :D

I would be very greatful of any suggestions, tips or practical advise that anyone could give. Thankyou.

Peter

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The first step. You want to be mentally prepared and physically prepared. Make sure your product is professional. No matter how good your songs may be, a bad recording of them will not get you noticed.

1. Changing the strings keeps your guitar feeling nice to play and sounding good: they are most important factor in how a guitar sounds, since the sound of any guitar is rather dependent on the strings!

2. If you are not rehearsed and organized before you enter the recording studio, you will run into trouble.

3. In between takes check your tuning, silently, don't set and noodle around playing.

4. It's important to bring supplies to the studio: instruments, cables, strings, guitar picks, lyric sheets, drum sticks, duct tape, and band paraphernalia.

5.You can go into the studio with a general idea of how you want your recording to sound, but it is important to be open to experimentation. Don't let your abilities as a live band limit your chance to add interesting parts in the studio.

these are just a few, something to think about.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Since it's free, take breaks every once in a while.,

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

All of the above. I'd say the most important is to practice, but as your on the road, I'm sure you'll have those songs down.

Less is more. If you're finding that you're having difficulty, perfect what you are working on before you move on to the next. It's better to have three well produced songs than 5 poor ones.

If the person recording/producing has any kind of experience don't be offended by any suggestions he/she might have.

Record EVERYTHING. Use up as many tracks as you can and try to record every take/warm up/mistake. You never know when you'll stumble on a gem.

Do what you need to to relax. Have a (as in one) drink if you must but don't get drunk. Don't get high. You'll regret it. What sounds good while you're high often sounds real bad once you've sobered up.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanyou for the advice, I've taken it on board. Don't worry, none of us plan on getting drunk/high in the studio, we may be rock and roll, but were not stupid...

Now lets find a TV to throw outa that hotel window...

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Do what you need to to relax. Have a (as in one) drink if you must but don't get drunk. What sounds good while you're high often sounds real bad once you've sobered up.

Man, and I always thought it was just my strings, processor or amp that made those mistakes. LOL. Yea, I've played pretty bad with too many cold ones but I'm doing that on my time. If you are with a band, don't mess up their sound by getting loaded, expecially if you are in a studio recording. If you need to, do that stuff after getting your work done.

Wasn't it the Ramones who didn't drink/drug before or during performances? The singer, I believe, made up that rule and it makes sense or you'd get people all wound up and play like a 3-year-old.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Excitement builds as my band prepares to record our first EP (4 or 5 songs) We're going on a road trip to good ole cardiff, where we have the free use of a friend of a friend's studio!! :D

I would be very greatful of any suggestions, tips or practical advise that anyone could give. Thankyou.

Peter

Here's some advice from Harvey Gerst.
http://www.itrstudio.com/1998.html#0798

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote