Clear all

Recording Locations

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@lostbeggining)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey...i can never seem to get the best out of home recording for whatever reasons (prob the use of a rubbish mic and me being a rubbish musician lol) but um.....i was wondering how much differences recording in different rooms will make...im pretty familiar with acoustics in certain rooms etc....but i was wondering if anyone had any more tips...i was wondering......wat type of quality do you think a conservatory/ greenhouse would create?

sorry prob sounds weird and stupid questions but...

Thanks

NeM H

Rain Shadow

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

i was wondering how much differences recording in different rooms will make...im pretty familiar with acoustics in certain rooms etc....but i was wondering if anyone had any more tips...i was wondering......wat type of quality do you think a conservatory/ greenhouse would create?

You'll be surprised at how much effect a room has on the sound Here's an experiment for you to try:

Start music playing from whatever you're using to monitor while mixing. Now get up, walk around the room, and listen for an instrument (bass is an easy one to hear). As you're walking around and listening, pay attention to what happens to the apparent volume of the instrument you've selected. You might find a spot where it seems much louder, or a spot where it seems to disappear completely.

What you're hearing is the effect that reflected sound waves have. Sometimes the reflected sound waves meet "in phase" and reinforce each other, sometimes they meet "out of phase" and cancel each other out. (It's actually a bit more complex than this, but I'm trying to convey the basic idea. I'll post some links below that give more detail.)

Some tips:
"Treat" the room to control these reflections. Strategically placed wall hangings, curtains and tapstries can control high freq reflections, a sofa can make a good bass trap.

Get your amps and speaker cabs off the floor and on an amp stand if you can.

For acoustic instruments, try moving to different spots in the room or different materials under the performer, like a square of carpet or a sheet of plywood.

More links about audio reflections and room treatment:

Ethan Winer's articles on acoustic treatment

Polarity and Phase explained

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@lostbeggining)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

wow. thanks a lot!!!

Rain Shadow

ReplyQuote