Clear all

Recording LPs to computer

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Not strictly a studio question, buit thought this would be a good place to ask.

Running my record deck (through a pre-amp) into my hi-fi, then stereo cable from the line out to my sound cards line in.

When playing the record, it sounds fine, but when I've recorded it onto Audacity, there's a sort of high pitched whine in the background. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Is my input too strong? It's not clipping so I don't think that's the reason.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Peter

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Try eliminating components in your signal chain. Try going right from your preamp into your soundcard. If you still get the whine, try running some noise removal in audacity.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

How high pitched? An exact frequency would be a useful clue here. What sampling rate are you using for the recording? 44.1 kS/s or ??

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Try cutting out the Hi-Fi, and make sure the cables are a decent quality. Noise removal too.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

If you can listen to the grammophone record through the computers speakers/headphones and it sound fine then it´s no problems with the input signal chain.
It my be a problem with Audacity and your soundcard.
Try to do a recording with Windows simple recording utility and check how it sounds.
It should sound very similar to the "playback" sound, but it is only in mono and 22 kHz / 8 bit PCM.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You have two amps going on? Pre-amp to amp to PC?

Try eliminating the pre-amp.

And I feel for you. I'm in the early phases of converting roughly 3000 LPs. Although you get some thrills when you put something on that you haven't heard in a while. How about Pink Floyd's Meddle?

If I might be so bold let me suggest two opposite ends of the spectrum for recording that I like better than Audacity.

Microsoft's Digital Media Edition Plus Pack. Only twenty bucks and it has a number of cool tools on it. Analog recorder is fantastic for almost all of your recording needs. It adjusts recording levels, cuts pops and hiss and is the easiest tag management system for this style of recording.

For those LPs or 78s that are in need of serious help, try http://www.tracertek.com/ for Audio Mentor or DC millenium Yes either are $60. However at $10-$15 per CD saving 5 LPs pays for it. Then you have things on LP that aren't on CD. How much is that recording worth?

One more thing you'll need, an LP cleaner, google disc doctor. A good brush, lint free towels and a bit of solution is all you need. Unless you want to spend a couple of hundred on a vacuum cleaning machine.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Theres a ton of records up in the attic that belong tgo my parents. I always mean to convert them, but I need a new record player. Maybe I'll get around to it some day.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

but I need a new record player.

Something like this maybe?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote