Clear all

Recording with two inputs - noise bleeds over

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi All, I've worked on recording with two microphones some recently. Well, until about two weeks ago, but will start again this weekend I think. It's all part of that singing and playing at the same time thing I try to do. It's how I most enjoy playing.

So, the new starting point:
Guitar: Guitar -> Boss GT-10 ->via usb PC running Reaper
Vocals: vocals into Blue Yeti USB Mic -> PC using Reaper

I'm singing using as low an input level as I can do and still be heard. It's not ideal for the recording, but ideal for my head. Guitar is whatever volume I want to Reaper, and I just have a secret little path out to the headphones via another GT-10 connection so that I can hear what I'm playing real quiet-like.

So, what I end up with is a lot of picking noise getting picked up by the mic. I've tried a couple of things and they do get me some improvement. I flatten a music stand and use it as a table. I then set my mic back away from the edge as far as I can and still be able to sing. That reduces the pick-clicking a good bit. I also use the tightest pattern that this mic has.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to further reduce unwanted noise?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I read the title as "nose bleeds over". :shock:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

So, what I end up with is a lot of picking noise getting picked up by the mic. I've tried a couple of things and they do get me some improvement.

What are you using for a pick? Thinner picks = more pick click.

Is it picking noise or fingering screech? If it's finger screech, pick yer fingers up you lazy boy!

Probably the easiest immediate solution for you would be to track guitar first, then track vocals separately to the guitar track. That kinda defeats the sing and play together, though.

Since you need a LOT of mic gain so you can sing softly, that mic is gonna pick up everything including the flatulent fleas in the neighbor's carpet. You're going to need to listen to the playbacks closely to determine how much of that noise is caused by things you can correct by changing and improving your technique.

You may need to investigate a pain management routine that will let you tolerate the extra sinus pressure and vibration of singing louder, if there is one. That's the route I take with my shoulder - hefty dose of NSAIDs before and after a performance or extended practice.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey moonrider, thanks for the thoughts on this topic.

It's the pick-click. I use a variety. My favorite brand and thickness is the one I just blindly grabbed. :lol: Seriously, I normally end up at about a .90 or so. The writing has faded on my favorites. I do understand that this is a "thin" pick to many players. I've got 1.14 and 1.5 as well, but never quite felt the love yet.

I need to get closer to the mic. I forgot to mention that earlier. Also, doing this learning to sing bit, I have those big bursts of volume then nothing at the end, by comparison. I've been working out evening that out and having some success when conscious about it. That probably doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot for this conversation, though. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

1. Get a mic stand and get the mic close to you so you can turn the gain down a bit.
2. Add an instance of ReaGate to your track and play with the level and see if you can get rid of the clicks. Or, add an instance of ReaFir, set the Mode to Subtract, and check Automatically build noise profile, then play a bit of the track where just the squeek is. Then uncheck Automatically build noise profile and play the track and see if it's gone.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Is the pick click direct or is it coming through the amp?

If it's direct, you could try using a baffle, below the mike, I suppose. Make a cone shape out of something acoustically dead, like carpet or felt. Cut the sharp end off and wrap the narrow end of the cone around your mike - use something like duct tape to hold it in position.

Allow the baffle to protrude beyond the front of the mike, so that you can raise the gain on it.

I've never tried it, but in my own little world, the idea sounds good. :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi
One major cause to your Mic recording problem is that you are using Condenser microphone in a non studio environment.
They are very good, but also very sensitive compared to a supercardoid (vocal) dynamic microphone.
It will pick up nearly every low noise sound in the room.
You need to use it in cardoid pattern and very close to you mouth ( 2-3 inches).
And possibly also directed a little bit of from down upwards to the mouth, wich make use of cardoid patterns reduction of sound pickup from behind the microphone.
/Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote