Clear all

the price of studio monitors

20 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Hue is right.

A "good" studio is different for different people, and there's a LOT more to it than what monitors you have.

If you have the a pair of Tannoy's running off of a Crown power amp being fed by a Soundcraft Ghost board all stuck in a 10x10 room with no sound treatment and no sound isolation for your mics your final product will still sound like ti was mixed in an untreated 10x10 room with all kinds of cross feeds.

On the other hand, if you can produce a very professional sounding mix from used Behringer equipment if you've got a fully treated room for your recording and mix-down with quality mic pre-amps, good sound isolation, and an engineer who really knows what they're doing.

I disagree that the biggest impact is the mixing space.

The biggest impact on the final mix is the combination of the recording space, pre-amps and mics! You can only filter off so much noise before you screw with the signal in final mix-down.

When it's all said and done, for the home recording amateurs, it's a matter of balancing all of the different aspects of recording within whatever budget you have. When dealing with the home recording studio, the final result will almost always be defined by the weakest link. It is very rare for that link to be the studio monitors used in the final mix down.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I am part way home now. last night I had the winning bid on a pair of Behringer 2031 P's monitors. 8.75" driver.
they are just like the Truths 2030s but passive. got em for 109$. retail around 159.99$
SCORE.

looking at a nice power amp now. will know tomorrow if I won.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

I am part way home now. last night I had the winning bid on a pair of Behringer 2031 P's monitors. 8.75" driver.
they are just like the Truths 2030s but passive. got em for 109$. retail around 159.99$
SCORE.

looking at a nice power amp now. will know tomorrow if I won.These are the same model I'm using....
They are a standout for quality in this price range.

You probably already know this, but speaker placement will play a big part in how good your mixdowns sound (esp. stereo placement)
Go for equidistance between the 2 monitors and your ears.
Essentially, the 2 monitors and your head should form the 3 points of an equilateral triangle and the speakers should be pointing at your ears (often referred to as 'on axis')
The biggest impact on the final mix is the combination of the recording space, pre-amps and mics! You can only filter off so much noise before you screw with the signal in final mix-down. This is sooo true... This becomes more obvious to me every day :)

I find personally that if you have a poor mixing environment (ie. bad reflections/large peaks at certain freq.), then you should mix at the lowest volume level that you can still hear everything clearly. Turning your monitoring UP beyond this point seems to make any problems seem worse. This is of course purely subjective (from my experience) and will be different for every room...
I'm sure you'll experiment with this once your new toys arrive :)

I built stands into my desk to make room for these larger than expected monitors (i thought i was the only one, Alan).
I would prefer to have them further away from me, but their final position ended up being a compromise between good placement and efficient use of the small (10'x10') room i have to play in....

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

I forgot to mention... These are the first set of studio monitors i've owned....

I didn't expect them to be so clear that i have trouble listening to mp3's ripped at anything below about 192kHz. Highly compressed MP3's sound AWFUL on good monitors, but CD's and Vinyl sound BEAUTIFUL...

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

jMinor. thanks for the headsup.
yep, once my toys arrive I will be discovering much.
your tips will be appreciated. :)

cool. I just won the power amp.
it is a Peavey 500. lightly used for a personal monitor a few times.
175$
I done good. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2