Clear all

Using Backing Tracks

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Can someone please help me? I'd like to start using backing tracks to improvise with and maybe to get in one one of the GN collaborations at some point. How do I record it while playing along with it? I use Garageband. Thanks a lot.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Pearl,

I add a new track and I drag&drop the MP3 with the backing track in it. Usually I do it when I play over a instructor book track.

I don't have installed the GB in this Mac (currently at work). If you need, I'll put a more specific description tonight (for example, I don't remember if you simply drag&drop the backing track in GB -without add a new track- it is enough).

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Nuno's got it, Pearl.
Just drag the mp3 onto an open GB project window and the mp3 is imported and placed in a new track.
Easy as pie. :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Nuno's got it, Pearl.
Just drag the mp3 onto an open GB project window and the mp3 is imported and placed in a new track.
Easy as pie. :)

Yup, same thing goes with Audacity too.... :)

I don't know about GB, but with Audacity it will play the BT when I press Record..so I can hear both me and the BT together.
Of course I need a few "TAKES" due to LEVEL/Volume adjustments so I can sound like part of the mix instead of just blasting through it. ;)

GLuck...have fun with it. :)
D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I'm pretty certain the drag&drop method works with pretty much any DAW - it certainly has for all the ones I've tried. if not, you can always try going to the 'import' button in the file/edit/view/etc options on the toolbar (not sure which one its in, think its 'file' or 'edit')

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I don't know about GB, but with Audacity it will play the BT when I press Record..so I can hear both me and the BT together.
D-
Same in GB. If it's not muted you'll hear it anytime you hit play or record.
Have fun is right! :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK Thanks, guys. I think I can handle this!

ReplyQuote