Clear all

Using EQ to elminate noise..success!!

13 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I think I've finally found a way to do it better than the software.

Messing around with the highs and turning them down to about half, and messing around with the mid-highs, I think it works okay.

I know that to eliminate any noise you are going to take a hit in the quality, but I think that I did okay. I used Adobe Soundbooth 2.0

Just thought I'd share, here's the end result!

http://www.box.net/shared/uylrvbkpp8

Heres the original:
http://www.box.net/shared/nlpnbgvthx

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

Taking away the highs can leave a guitar sounding dull in a mix. In my experience, the guitar really starts to shine at the 3 ~ 5 k mark. Unfortunately, this is also where the noise likes to sit (and higher). How did you dial the highs down and at what frequency? Did you use a shelf or a filter?

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I agree. This is the best I could come up with and still make it sound okay.

I ended up using a 4-band Low Pass Filter and adjusted the Highs, and the Mid-Highs

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I think I've finally found a way to do it better than the software.

Messing around with the highs and turning them down to about half, and messing around with the mid-highs, I think it works okay.

I know that to eliminate any noise you are going to take a hit in the quality, but I think that I did okay. I used Adobe Soundbooth 2.0

Just curious . . . what are you using for a recording interface to get that high of a noise floor? You shouldn't be getting that much noise from the hardware.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It's a USB Condenser Mic. A Samson G-Track. I still think there is too much noise for the mic, but I don't know what else to do.

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

It's a USB Condenser Mic. A Samson G-Track. I still think there is too much noise for the mic, but I don't know what else to do.

Hmmm, you using a preamp for the mic? I never used a usb mic before so can't comment on them...

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It's got a pre-amp built in, with volume control and everything....I've got it cranked to 3/4 of the way up so that it will even detect the guitar. It's odd, my voice comes across fine, but an instrument is getting me nowhere. I see all these great videos, and they aren't using expensive mics, and there is almost no noise, so I'm wondering if I need a pre-amp and just use my Sure 57 dynamic mic.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I'm gonna make a WAG here and say it's not the mic at all.You've got a right much gain set up there There's other things that can be picked up by a condenser with a fair amount of gain on it. E. G.

Air moving though the heating/AC vents
Refrigerators
Your breathing
People moving in other rooms
washing machines
dryers
TV/radio/stereo elsewhere in the house
Fans, even those in computers or other electronic equipment.

Start looking at these kinds of things. Condenser mics are far more sensitive than your ears and will pick up and amplify things you can't hear.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, but if I don't have it up that high, then it doesn't pick up on the recording software, or is very very low.

I was doing a bit of research last night, and there was a couple reviews that stated it has a pretty high noise floor.

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

I listened to the soundclips again and I like the original (with more hiss) much better. I don't think the hiss is that bad really. Did you try using an exciter to dial out some of that hiss? Just another idea. What all is in your chain before you hit the computer? Are you just going from the mic to the usb? Maybe throwing a mixer in between might help some.

With that said, it sounds as if you are using a classical (or nylon string crossover acoustic) which already is working against you as they will be quieter and mellower that a steel string. Where are you pointing the mic at on the guitar? I've never recorded my classical so never experienced with mic placement on it. Still, a condensor mic with proper phantom power should get you a good, strong signal. have you considered adding a preamp and pickup for your guitar? Just another idea, and probably a more costly one.

BTW, is that a Dowland piece you're playing or some other renaissance composer. Nice little piece, and nice playing on your part too. I have a couple of medieval and renaissance music books that I love to pull out from time to time. Saltarello's and Estampie's are my favorite and most fun to play. The Jamey Bellizzi transcriptions and very playable, IMO.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and used my G-Track as a PC interface with my Sure 57 Dynamic (with an XLR - 3.5mm cable) and recorded just ambient room noise, and I think now i have to mess with the PC settings. I'm starting to find a good balance.

To answer your question about the music, yeah it's John Dowland, Orlando Sleepeth. I want to re-record it because the timing is off a bit. I'll look into those others that you have listed.

I'm going through a period where I'm learning to read sheet music, and this is one of the pieces that I played. John Dowland is a great composer, love the type of music.

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

I'd like to hear the guitar again wth the new chain once you get it done. I liked the timing the way you played it. I believe it is more authentic that way.

Yeah, Dowland is great. If you like his music, also have a listen to William Byrd and Thomas Morley - similar Elizabethan style music.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I will try and record something tomorrow.

With my PC settings I've got everything cranked as well. I've still got a ton of noise coming from the line in, and that shouldn't be happening, so I think that's part of the problem. Not only is the volume on the input turned all the way up, but the +20db Mic boost is cranked.
I now have a popper stopper right in front of the dynamic mic to help.

I'm not looking to eliminate the noise but I want to reduce it quite a bit. I think messing with the windows settings will do it for me.

As for the music, I'm going to re-record that, I'm also working on Menuett by Johann Kreiger...it's in the Hal Leonard Classical Guitar pieces, seems pretty easy as far as reading the sheeets goes, and sight reading it with my travel guitar I think it sounds good. A little practice and it should turn out fine. I'll check out who you were talking about...love the type of music.

ReplyQuote