Clear all

V-Amp Recordings

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I know alot of people use V-Amp's to do computer based recordings so I just want to look for some input on it. I want to record an acoustic guitar part using the V-Amp, but I don't know if I should mic the acoustic, or just run it into the input using the pickup.

Also, how should I run the V-Amp to the computer?

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@margaret)
Noble Member

Off He Goes wrote: Also, how should I run the V-Amp to the computer?

I had to order online (couldn't find them anywhere locally):

1) stereo Y connector with two male 1/4 inch jacks at one end, and a male 1/8 inch jack at the other,

which I then connected into another special order extension cord,

2) 1/8 inch female on one end and 1/8 inch male on the other end (stereo), which then plugged into the computer soundcard

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Off He Goes wrote: Also, how should I run the V-Amp to the computer?

I had to order online (couldn't find them anywhere locally):

1) stereo Y connector with two male 1/4 inch jacks at one end, and a male 1/8 inch jack at the other,

which I then connected into another special order extension cord,

2) 1/8 inch female on one end and 1/8 inch male on the other end (stereo), which then plugged into the computer soundcard

Margaret

You go girl....listen to the technical jargon....wooohooooo :D

I would like to add that (here comes the analytical side, sorry everyone :oops: ) the Y connector is L and R male 1/4" and the 1/8" male is STEREO. Hence, the extension cable should be stereo on both ends as well.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Alright, I think I understand fairly well, I can visualize it, but the male/female bit is throwing me off. Margaret, you said you ordered online, would you mind giving me a link or two, I want to know if I'm looking for the right stuff or not.

Thanks,

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

but the male/female bit is throwing me off.
Going by what Margaret is saying, you need one of these -

1)

Link found HERE

1/8 in (3.5mm) stereo male to 2 1/4 in male. The dual (Y) end side will be mono because you are dealing with Left and Right which is fine because you are running the Left and Right speaker and down-sizing it to an 1/8in (3.5mm) which is stereo or vice-versa.

And one of these-

2)

Link found HERE

So, if the first cable is long enough, you can get away with just that one. You're just running the second one as an extenstion, right Margaret?

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Bish wrote: You go girl....listen to the technical jargon....wooohooooo

:lol: I had a little help ....

And thanks, Bish for clarifying about the cords.

The pictures that Mike posted look just like what I ordered.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Paul
If you have an Acoustic guitar with an internal pickup (piezo or magnetic) you can use it with th3 V-Amp2 . There are several possibilities;:
1; Just reduce the input gain of the V-amp2 to adopt it for the higher signal levels from the Piezo pickup (with internal pre-amp) by using configuration mode and press TAP.
2;Or you can activate PREAMP BYPASS and disable all AMPS/Speaker simulation and only use all the FX Effects by pressin the knob combination TAP and TUNER.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Personal opinion: if you have a decent guitar take the time to put a mic in front of it. The electronics could be usefull for live performances but for recordings I'd never do that. Accoustics really sound much better when recorded 'real'.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Personal opinion: if you have a decent guitar take the time to put a mic in front of it. The electronics could be usefull for live performances but for recordings I'd never do that. Accoustics really sound much better when recorded 'real'.

Thats what I was thinking too man, but I wasn't sure if running a mic into a v-amp would sound good?

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Mike wrote: So, if the first cable is long enough, you can get away with just that one. You're just running the second one as an extenstion, right Margaret?

Sorry, I missed this Q the first time around.

Yes, the second cable is just an extension, as the Y cord I have is only about a foot long.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

And then use the 'clean V-amp' or 'tube pre-amp' setting? Not too sure about accoustic guitars but vocals seemed to become 'flat' and somewhat sterile. I had some luck with sending an electric organ through it but had little luck with mic'ed sounds. But definitely try for yourself, maybe you'll run into a sound along the way that is usefull. In that case, let us know. :D

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I don´t think that the Vamp´s input amplifier has enough gain to amplify a dynamic mic as a electric guitar pickup has much higher signal level than a normal dynamic mic ( a condenser mic is not possible to use with the VAmp as it needs phantom feeding).
To record with a mic you will need a Mixer ( with mic inputs) or a dedicated Mic pre-amplifer.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote