Clear all

Wanting Opinions

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i record with a lexicon core 2 into a old computer. I use it and an ADAT as an interface (12 simultaneous channels). It works great to record dry to. When it comes time to mix though look out we start having problems. So i was wondering should i just up the ram on that computer. or my other option.

I have an external hard drive I could save it all to that computer then transfer it to my external and take it to my new AMD 64bit machine for mixing ( is use Cubase SX and a bunch of plugins)... i would like to do it on my laptop but it doesn't have USB 2.0 ports and the transfer rate from external to Cubase would be to slow.

Shoudl I do this and just mix out my AMD machines sound card??? or what do u suggest???

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Your old computer, what clock speed and how much RAM?
If you use XP OS, you need at least 512 MB RAM to run any advanced SW.
A CPU clock speed above 1.5 GHz should be OK.

If you have CPU and RAM capacity problems on your old PC you can use the End-it-All 2 SW to close down all running programs you don´t need during the mixing process, you can find it here http://www.docsdownloads.com/enditall-1.htm

What type of problems do you get when you are mixing on the old PC ?
Latency problems (e.i. delay = no sync between mixed tracks) ?
Do you use any ASIO 2 drivers with the soundcard ?

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Lexicon Core 2 requires minimum 200MHz processor and 64MB of ram

My old PC has 400MHz processor and 512MB of Ram

I get glitches and stutteres sometimes then sometimes it doesn't do it at all..... i think the big thing is it can't handle the sound and the graphics at the same time........so i figured record to old and then mix on my 64bit machine through the sound card. then i could export derectly to CD

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote