Clear all

What do you guys use for recording?

30 Posts
22 Users
0 Reactions
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

New here so I thought I'd share!

I run a regular home PC loaded with Magix Music Studio Deluxe 12. This cost about 50 quid, and has something like up to 32 audio tracks, unlimited midi, and a bunch of effects. You can also add in any free VST plugins downloaded from the web, which has opened up a massive world of possibilities for me!! Check out the results at http://www.myspace.com/calistouk . Crush Me is a pretty good example of a fairly heavily layered mix (that's my other half on vocals - she wrote the original song). High and Dry gives a good idea of the "space" that can be created with a fairly simple acoustic setup. All in all its a great bit of software for the price - and it won't crash your PC to often!!!
Hi-Your music sounds great i just sent the friend request to myspace 8)

+1 you did a great job with those tunes. Music Maker has gotten so much better since the version I started using years ago.

As an aside, there's some odd warbling on "High and Dry" with the main rhythm guitar. Could this be phasing? It's more prominent at the start. Just an observation.

Bottom line I guess is that talent is the key ingredient to good recordings. You guys have that in heaps. NICE!

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@southpaw_pete)
Eminent Member

Thanks Hueseph - glad you like! we're just getting up and running as a duo, doing some local gigs, but mainly recording and working up a set list.

I'll gladly add you to our friends!

All the best

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

I use Acid. It's very simple. Plus, you can easily create drum and bass backing tracks.

ReplyQuote
(@joefish)
Trusted Member

Audacity certainly is not competitive with any major software. It is fine for stereo editing and file conversion but is dificult to make practical use of for multitracking and mixing. I know a lot of people use it but that's only because they have gotten used to the workflow.

I actually downloaded this and installed it the other night. To me, it seems clunky. It seemed to setup quickly to record from my firewire box - unlike Soundforge which sometimes is a struggle to reestablish a connection - however, whenever I hit the record button, it wanted to lay down a new track. Then exporting to an mp3 took some time to figure out. In short, it's not as clean as Sony. I'm sure most of these issue could be figured out with a little time an effort but in all honesty, I just don't have the ambition to learn this software. Sony's nice when I want to lay down a single track demo or edit some audio.

==================
Pat
joefish
SilverBox

"Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice".
Robert Fripp

ReplyQuote
(@joefish)
Trusted Member

Mackie Onyx Satellite
Tracktion 3, Samplitude SE, Cubase SE, Acid Music Studio, Beta Monkey Loops, EZdrummer.
Various cheapo mics. A Digitech RP90(how embarrassing), KRK Rockit Powered 5s.
Various plugins: Freeamp 3, Kjaerhaus Classic series, Modern Plugins suite, Fish Fillets and many more. 99% freeware.
Mackie Satallite? I was looking at these very intently when I was shopping for interface boxes. I really liked the setup, the mobility, and the features it had on it. However, I found some bad review about dropped connections and latency issues along with the fact that it is so inexpensive - around $200 verses $400 for something compatable - made me shy away from it quickly. You diggin' your Mackie?

==================
Pat
joefish
SilverBox

"Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice".
Robert Fripp

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

1) Kristal is free. Don't expect magic. It is as simple to use as Cubase and more logical to me than Audacity. Audacity does expect you to record to a new track EVERY TIME.

2)Onyx Satellite: I have no problems with mine. In fact many people have problems with FP10s, Digi boxes, M-audio. You can find a bad review on just bout any box. That is what return policies are for. I don't get dropouts, firewire whine and my latency is low 256samples or approximately 5ms. It's inexpensive because I believe they are going to discontinue this line. It's just not that popular. The preamps are nice. A LOT nicer than many of the units out there.

Tracktion is a great program. I'm a convert.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

My current setup is:

Shure SM57
Behringer 16 Channel Mixer (can't remember model, but it was given to me and works)
M-Audio 1010LT Sound Card
Ardour v2 (I use Linux)

The thing I've been playing around with recently is using several mics arranged around the amp differently and recording each as seperate tracks. You can then do all sorts of cool stuff with the sound.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

Compaq Presario Laptop/Desktop
Motu Pre-8
Alesis Adat
Mackie Onyx 2440
Nuendo 3
Wave Lab
Sound Forge

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

After all this time i'm just now setting up my stuff with my rebuilt PC.
i have a small room in the basement, where i hope to figure out how to route all these wires and stuff.

for now,
Audacity,
M-audio 24/96 soundcard,
behringer ub802 mixer.
behringer xm8500 mic

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@athnel)

Currently i am using FlexiMusic Wave Editor for recording. It makes my recording incredibly easy.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I have sony Acid......I don't use it much, but I'm ready to record.

I better get off my behind.......

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

just in case you're interested.............

apparently Reaper is least CPU intesive and can handle the most plug-ins before you get glitches (including high-end software like nuendo, pro tools, etc).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

My setup:

Dell Latitude D620 Laptop
Cubase LE
Behringer UCA202 USB Audio interface
Alesis MultiMix USB 8 channel mixer (the USB quit working after 3 months, hence the Behringer USB interface)
Behringer 8 channel mixer (I got it free and keep it for backup)
Shure SM58 mic
and a boatload of cables that I can never keep neat and untangled.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@dick-wolkendeck)

Hi there, my setup:

sm57 (you know...)
rode nt3 condenser small
rode nt2 condenser large
audix tr-40 omni mic

ART dual mic tube preamp
stage line passive DI box
radial actve reamper

focusrite compounder stereo compressor

musicnet adat AD converter

digi 001 soundcard (optical adat in used, the mic pres are.... yuck!)

PC quad core processor

ProTools LE 6.4
Focusrite Liquid mix

LEM procon 200 amplifier and dynaudio BM5 monitors

Yamaha desk

marshall jcm800 50 Watt combo
peavey 5150 head and cab
groove tubes trio preamp
engl tube power amp
70's london city amp and two cabs
Koch 1x 12" speaker cab (my main recording speaker, it fits in a big padded flightcase)

The big secret to get lots of stuff is to never get rid of anything.

http://www.seraphique.com

The big secret to get lots of stuff is to never get rid of anything.

ReplyQuote
(@monetmelly)

im running a digi002 with a digimax lt which gives me 12 ins and 8 outs total. I LOVE IT!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2