what do you lose by going with h4/h2 vs. ux2

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

new to recording here. i've thought a lot about getting a zoom h2/h4, or something like that, and am wondering what are the tradeoffs between getting that vs. something like the toneport ux-2.

i think i can get the ux-2 here in canada, along with a shure sm-57 mic, for about $360. i think that's about the same as the h4.

i realize that mobility is gained by the h4, and i think that would be great to be able to use it to record my guitar teacher. i've also heard some recordings done by some people on soundclick using the h4, and they sound pretty good. i guess i'm wondering what i'm losing by going with the h4 vs. a ux-2.

in addition to any suggestions, if there is anywhere that someone can suggest that i read up on this, that would be great. i'm mostly interested in recording acoustic guitar, but will get into singing and electric guitar.

Thanks!

Paul

pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

anyone? bueller?

i've also seen some cheaper behringer mixers that i might go with instead as it doesn't have to be professional grade but i do want good quality. i've looked at the following:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-1202?sku=631265

i would think that this, along with my PC, and a shure microphone sm57 or 58, and i'd be up and recording and be happy with the sound. i have a soundblaster live soundcard. i want to mostly record acoustic guitar, but then don't want to be limited when i expand (probably soon) into vocals and electric guitar.

one of the things that i'm concerned with the h2 is recording vocals. i guess in my research i've discovered that one of the benefits of a mixer or interface like the ux-2 is that you can expand with it.

any suggestions/comments on the above?

paul

ReplyQuote