Skip to content
What exactly does a...

Notifications
Clear all

What exactly does a record producer do??

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mr-mudd)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What does a producer do and how much do they normally charge? I want to record an album and arent sure whether or not I need a producer. If I do, what percantages or fees should I expect to shell out?

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

A producer takes on a role similar to a director. He may pick the songs or direct the band to choose songs which highlight their talent. He is charged with the responsiblity of getting the best performance from the artist as well as ensuring that the final product is the absolute best quality it can be. How he does this differs from producer to producer. If you hear any words come from a producers mouth it will usually be "do it again". In years gone by, producers would be involved with the artist from well before any actual recording is done. He would be their to direct the practice at times even the songwriting. The main thing to consider is that the producer generally works for a record label and NOT for the artist. In that sense the artist may not produce the product they may desire necessarily but what the label can sell.

Many producers often act as engineers as well but this is not always the case. What makes a good producer? This is a mystery. Usually the producer has a vision for the band. They know what they want the finished product to sound like. They may not even necessarily know how to get it to that point but that is the job of the engineer. How does a person qualify as a producer? Another mystery. Usually it's decided by what they produce. It's not something you can take in a course.

Qualities that enhance a producers ability?

-diplomacy
-and understanding fo psychology(maybe child psychology)
-conflict resolution

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@mr-mudd)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you, your advice will be very helpful.

ReplyQuote