Clear all

what is done with the takes?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It didn't occur to me to ask this question until a pianist - a seasoned veteran of the recording studio - asked me what the engineer did with my takes? I just assumed that he deletes them but the pianist thinks he could make another CD from them. Is that true? Why would he want to make another CD from my throw-away takes? How can I check up on this?

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

(@vaultstudio)

I think you're being paranoid. I have done sessions for bands and have quite a few takes that didn't make it to the final mix - I've NEVER done anything with them. As a matter of fact, I've never done anything with a customer's GOOD takes after delivery of final product. Oh sure, an engineer could come up with all these great best-of and out-take CD's, but quite frankly I don't have the time for that and I'd be surprised if any other engineer would either.

So why didn't you get the level of "participation" that your freind did? Maybe the guy just didn't like your music... Maybe he got a strange vibe from you... It happens.

I can't speak for this engineer, but I don't keep old projects around for long. I keep customer projects on-line for 30 days after the session. After that, it's gone. If the customer wants a dump of all the files for the possibility of a future session, I'll dump off to CDs for a very nominal fee... otherwise, it's in the recycle bin on day 31.

Bill

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm not really sure, but I would have thought that the takes are really the copyright of the performer. The studio is being paid to record and mix the takes - there is no participation in rights, as far as I know. So any out-takes, etc. that were published without consent of the artist would be breach of copyright, IMHO.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tgrover)

It didn't occur to me to ask this question until a pianist - a seasoned veteran of the recording studio - asked me what the engineer did with my takes? I just assumed that he deletes them but the pianist thinks he could make another CD from them. Is that true? Why would he want to make another CD from my throw-away takes? How can I check up on this?

it is still your song as long as you have it copyrighted.... what some engineers do is they make there own mix when they think a previous take was better but the performer disagrees..apart from that dont worry about it is still your tune if it played on the spoons you own it

ReplyQuote