Clear all

FreeVideo Blues Strum Version - Death Have No Mercy

18 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for supporting this great site. Here is another one of my little home made videos strictly for fun and enjoyment.

This is a fantastic song to play on guitar. The lyrics are a little dark but it's such a true classic. Many will know it from Hot Tuna fame but Roy Book Binder also does it and it's a classic Rev Gary Davis tune. My spin on it leads you through simple strumming of about 6 basic chords. You can google the lyrics to get many many verses. Anyone can sing and play this AND have alot of fun with it. The chords are cool sounding. Veteran players or beginners will like this chord progression and it really is a great song at song circles and a good bar song. Anyone from the 60s probably knows this one.

PLAY 2mb WMV video

Em 0-2-2-0-0-0

Am 0-0-2-2-1-0

B7 x-2-1-2-0-1

D x-x-0-2-3-2

G 3-2-0-0-0-3

C7 0-3-2-3-1-0

by
Rev. Gary Davis
recording of probably 1960
from
Harlem Street Singer (Bluesville OBCCD-547-2)
& (),
Death don't have no mercy in this land
Y' know death don't have no mercy in this land, in this land
Come to your house, you know he don't take long
You look in the bed, you find your mama is gone
I said death don't take no vacation in this land
Death don't take no vacation in this land, in this land
Come to your house, no he doesn't stay long
Look around the room, you see your father will be gone
Say now death don't, death don't take no vacation in this land
Death will leave you standing and crying in this land
I said death will you standing and crying in this land, in this land
He comes into your house and he don't take long
You look all around and you find your mother gone
Death don't have no mercy in this land, in this land
Come to your house, you know he don't take long
You wake up one morning and your whole family be gone
Oh, death don't have no mercy in this land

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 03/03/2005 12:52 am
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Very well done little brother. I don't think you hacked through the lyrics at all, for recording straight like that on a pc cam and a pc mic I'm guessing it sounded very good. I don't normally listen to the blues but I really liked this. Maybe I'll have to start now! Seriously though, very good work, keep it up and put some more of them blue vids up I wanna see more!!!!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

Posted : 03/03/2005 1:00 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

That is such a sad song. Classic blues at its best.
I am a big fan of your lessons and as soon as I can shake a few bucks off my money tree I will definately be buying your video.
Well Done.

Posted : 03/03/2005 1:31 am
(@bill_gates_jr)
Eminent Member

LIIttlebro
you hit it on the head !
You got soul bro
I have hit the woodshed to try and do justice to one or two of the tunes you have generously shared
Would it be asking to much for someone to tab that walk up to the B7

signed
Love to play the blues

ps
is there somewhere that anyone can refer me to in regards to walking into chords in general . That can add so much so easily to strum along tune
Maybe David Hodge could do a lesson on it !
Thanks again

Posted : 03/03/2005 4:11 am
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks very much. I think that walkup is from the G chord string6 fret3 then open 5th string, fret1, fret2 .. and thats the B7. Does that help. I'll try to do more in the future and I really appreciate the feedback. That's a great benefit to posting these. I learn what people like.

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 03/03/2005 5:07 am
(@bill_gates_jr)
Eminent Member

Ya thats it
Thanks for the quick reply

Posted : 03/03/2005 5:30 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Good stuff LittleBrother! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 03/03/2005 10:47 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Ok time for some questions (want to make sure I am doing this right)
First off it looks like you are playing a simple Bass strum pattern.
Bass,down,up.
I assume you are playing the root each time except when playing the G on the second set of C7 and it looks like you are grabbing an F# on the B7 after the run up from G. is that right?
One thing I am doing a bit different is instead of playing one bass strum pattern on the G and then running up to B7 I have been playing the pattern twice then doing the run. (seems to sound ok and gives more time to set up after the vocal.)
Again great song. Thanks for sharing.

Posted : 04/03/2005 1:08 am
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Yes Jim

That does sound about right and my little version is just one variation. Rev Gary Davis actually plays it a little differently and then again Hot Tuna quite a bit different but all in the same Em category. Glad you enjoyed it and I would encourage alot of little bass and note runs to come more like Gary Davis's. He was truly a genius. Thanks again for checking out by fun stuff.

Doug

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 04/03/2005 1:33 am
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Great lesson Little Brother, thanks for sharing that one.

Just out of interst, who are your influences ?

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 04/03/2005 6:25 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Rodder,

Practically anyone that plays blues but some of my all time faves. Vaughan Brothers in the younger generation but the older I liked Lightin Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, of course Gary Davis since this is his tune. Also many countless others like Mississippi John Hurt.

If you go to http://www.guitarvideos.com and click RADIO BROADCASTS then Country Blues GUitar shows 1-17 there are 17 FREE FREE FREE mp3s there that you can download. They are fantastic and go through alot of blues history and music. I burned them to make 4 complete audio CDs and I drive down the road listening to them. That is a free BIBLE for blues that anyone can get. It's worth paying for but its FREE.

:)

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 04/03/2005 6:46 pm
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Thanks again Little brother, I'll take a look straight after this post.

I'm listening to Buddy Guy a lot these days, especially his latest acoustic album. Pure, and I mean pure blues.

All the best and keep em coming !!!!!

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 04/03/2005 7:29 pm
(@da5park)

Thanks LittleBrother, this is the kinda of stuff i've been wanting to learn for a while now. Thanks for sharing.

I'm off to learn that walk upto the B7 part!

Posted : 06/03/2005 6:24 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

It feels great to know this is helping people to have some fun. I guess I need to focus on making more of these type lessons. They seem fast easy and rewarding for the players. I also want to make another updated video on this one with more chord options and more little runs on lead and bass notes. So if I do I will post that when it happens. I might even submit it to Guitar Noise and see if Nick might publish it. I am tossing some ideas around but I really just enjoy seeing people play. Thanks for your feedback. It really helps me fine tune what I am trying to teach.

Doug

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 06/03/2005 7:34 pm
(@josethedreamer)

You are an excellent teacher :D

Posted : 30/08/2006 3:37 pm
Page 1 / 2