Clear all

Ken Tamplin vocal academy

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@cortez)
Topic starter

http://kentamplinvocalacademy.com/dvd.html

I just recently started wanting to learn to sing (bored w/ guitar at the moment) and have no clue where to start. I have never really tried before & I am terrible. I found this DVD and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this would be a good place to start & if not if they have any other DVD's to recommend

thanks

Posted : 01/08/2010 10:43 pm
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

I think he's very good. You can see for yourself on YouTube and probably on his own website.

He's a contemporary Christian vocalist, I believe, so I suppose that could put some people off, but he's not a preacher--I've never heard him mention religion. I think his lessons are clear and interesting.

Posted : 02/08/2010 12:05 am
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I always enjoyed Ken Tamplin's voice, has a great range. I liked his Christian Rock stuff with shout. Heck of a guitarist as well. I wouldn't be afraid of going with his instruction DVD's, looks like good stuff.

Posted : 02/08/2010 1:09 am
(@cortez)
Topic starter

Havent decided if I want to get these DVDs yet, I am still a little apprehensive of even trying to sing :oops: I have a stupid question, can anyone learn how to be a decent singer? I am not sure if I have enough (or any :? ) "natural ability" to ever be able to sing

Here is a quick clip I just threw together, could someone listen to it & let me now if they think the DVDs would work for me

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=781140623.wav

thanks

Posted : 08/08/2010 4:22 pm
(@cooljoebay)

I am a baritone. And it sounds like you are as well. I listened to your audio file and you didn't have much of a problem with pitch. So you are definitely not tone deaf. You just sound "untrained". I bought Ken's lessons recently and am impressed by them. Definitely not another gimmick. It seems like there are a lot of lessons out there that can improve your voice but not well enough to sing anything. A couple of the more popular ones I have tried for the past year. I saw my head voice range go up to a high C. But that's it. And that was only on certain days. Just after a week on Tamplin's lessons, I am seeing more consistency with my voice. I can hit the high C everyday if that tells you something. I normally cannot practice 6 days in a row. But I could with his lessons. Strange huh? I may be posting more than I need to but I am a little fired up from finding these lessons. He's the real deal and doesn't need any marketing gimmicks to get you to buy. Unlike most other instructors, he's got real experience and talent and he can prove it. Most of the other instructors make a lot of claims, but never demonstrate. Brett Manning has the worse singing voice I ever heard. And it took me 6 years to find out. Tamplin's lessons are pricey. But they are worth every dime and you won't need to buy anymore if you get all 3 stages.

Posted : 26/08/2010 4:34 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

In these days of $2 apps and economic uncertainty those are crazy expensive. $300 for three DVDs? I can get six pretty darn good in person vocal lessons for that.

I haven't seen the content mind you. They might be worth every penny, but I'll never know.

Posted : 26/08/2010 10:57 am
(@alangreen)

In these days of $2 apps and economic uncertainty those are crazy expensive. $300 for three DVDs? I can get six pretty darn good in person vocal lessons for that.

I haven't seen the content mind you. They might be worth every penny, but I'll never know.

For that sort of money, I'd really want to get some direct feedback from a teacher in the room when I stuff up. I think you have to be very very very very disciplned to learn well from DVDs.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 26/08/2010 3:31 pm
 Trev
(@trev)
Eminent Member

I'd recommend http://www.singing-basics.com as a place to start for complete beginners. It helps teach people to be on pitch.

Posted : 09/09/2010 5:01 am
(@cortez)
Topic starter

Thanks everyone

I have a question for cooljoebay (or anyone else) would you recommend it(the Ken tamplin) for an absolute beginner?

Posted : 09/09/2010 11:53 am
(@cortez)
Topic starter

Ok, I have been doing the Ken Tamplin exercises for a few weeks. I guess they are helping but still have questions such as why is my voice so harsh (not sure if that is the right word) and can this be fixed/improved?

What should I do just keep doing the exercises & trying to sing?

Here are a few clips if, any advice/comments would be great

you can close.wav - 5.05MB

Let her cry 122.wav - 2.52MB

Posted : 03/12/2010 12:40 am
(@nigel)

Hi,

I am Ken Tamplin's webmaster (and photographer) and I have known him about 30 years now.

I can honestly tell you that Ken is the real deal, for all vocalists at any level. The 3 stages on DVD are absolutely meant for someone who is - or now wants to be - disciplined in their voice. And as any real vocal coach will tell you, discipline is 90% of the game.

I have seen amazing transformations in vocalists who stick with his program for at least two to three months, even if you only start with Stage 1 and practice it over and over ... at some point it becomes so 2nd nature and it will be part of your normal daily routine. I see the testimonials coming in daily ... it's actually pretty cool!

And lastly, if you are a KTVA singer already, you know that Ken's dedication to customer service really is 1st class, if you have ANY questions, he takes the time to get involved with you.

Thanks!
Nigel

http://kentamplinvocalacademy.com

Posted : 23/05/2011 1:48 pm