Clear all

New April Issue of Guitar One

19 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@fcc4ever)
Topic starter

Gear in Review:

Guitar One's Mac Randall gets a tour of Brand New's wall of sound. Plus, we review cool new gear from ESP, Electro-Harmonix, Gretsch, Ableton, Krank, Orange and more.

Also this month, it turns out John Petrucci, Mark Tremonti, Matt Heafy, Mick Thompson all have a little something in common- the Dunlop Jazz III: The player's pick.

Obsession of the Month:
This month, our obsession was the Gretsch Playboy amp. Visually, with its black and maroon vinyl covering and boomerang-shaped speaker grille, it's a perfect 10. But more importantly, the handwired Playboy, made by boutique manufacturer Victoria floored us with its thick, lush tones. Think you can handle a playboy model?

Posted : 15/03/2007 3:49 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Wow, G1 is spamming web forums now? Subscriptions must be slow. Why don't you contact the administrator; I'm sure he'd be happy to sell you some ad space.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 15/03/2007 5:21 pm
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Wow, G1 is spamming web forums now? Subscriptions must be slow. Why don't you contact the administrator; I'm sure he'd be happy to sell you some ad space.

Couldn't have said it better myself....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

Posted : 15/03/2007 5:35 pm
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Well, I just lost some respect for G1. I hate spam.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

Posted : 15/03/2007 6:10 pm
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Well, I just lost some respect for G1. I hate spam.

Meh, Guitar World is better anyways. Better Transcriptions and Articles :lol:

Steve-0

Posted : 16/03/2007 12:49 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wow I can't wait to read what all those awesome players have to say about that pick. I hope it's a thorough article, nothing gets me down in the dumps like a mediocre article on picks. I want pages and pages, and tons of photo's. Preferably a group-shot where they all hold that pick together and stuff. That'd be hot. Man, what I would give for such an article...

Posted : 16/03/2007 12:52 am
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

...article on picks. I want pages and pages, and tons of photo's. Preferably a group-shot where they all hold that pick together and stuff. That'd be hot. Man, what I would give for such an article...

I hope they make a POSTER of the pick.... oh please oh please. I wanna put it up on my wall.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 16/03/2007 1:28 pm
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Dunlop Jazz III: The player's pick

Shouldn't that be....
Dunlop Jazz III: The pick of destiny Is the pick kind of green, and looks maybe like a piece of satans tooth or something?

Posted : 16/03/2007 2:14 pm
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

You guys are cracking me up, thanks for the laugh on a slow work day :D

Posted : 16/03/2007 4:06 pm
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

You can pick.....

Your friends....

You can pick....

Your nose...

But you cannot pick....

Your friend's nose...

Regardless of what pick you prefer....most especially when dealing with
a plastic thumbpick and two National metal fingerpicks...
:wink:

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

Posted : 16/03/2007 7:29 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I recently received letters from both GuitarOne and Guitar World offering a year's subscription for $12 each. I sent in for the free issue just to check each out. I have received an issue of each. If I like them, just send in the dough.

I gotta say I am a little disappointed with both. Both read like one loooong advertisement. Every article is about some piece of gear.

The Jazz III pick is a perfect example. I have used this pick and it is pretty good. But you get the feeling that the article showing famous player's who use this pick is simply to get you to buy it. And all the articles run like this.

I used to enjoy these magazines years ago, they had nice interviews, you could pick up some good pointers. Now it just seems they are trying to sell you something.

Haven't sent in the payment for either mag, still undecided. But I haven't been too impressed with these first issues I received.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 16/03/2007 11:03 pm
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

This thread did not have its intended effect.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

Posted : 17/03/2007 12:40 am
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I recently received letters from both GuitarOne and Guitar World offering a year's subscription for $12 each. I sent in for the free issue just to check each out. I have received an issue of each. If I like them, just send in the dough.

I gotta say I am a little disappointed with both. Both read like one loooong advertisement. Every article is about some piece of gear.

The Jazz III pick is a perfect example. I have used this pick and it is pretty good. But you get the feeling that the article showing famous player's who use this pick is simply to get you to buy it. And all the articles run like this.

I used to enjoy these magazines years ago, they had nice interviews, you could pick up some good pointers. Now it just seems they are trying to sell you something.

Haven't sent in the payment for either mag, still undecided. But I haven't been too impressed with these first issues I received.

Save your money on those two and check out Guitar Techniques magazine. You can find it at Barnes & Noble and Borders. They have tons of lessons on all different styles, good interviews, and very little advertising. You actually come away learning something after reading it. It's more expensive than the others (probably because it comes from the UK) but much, much better.

Posted : 17/03/2007 1:03 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Spam gone bad.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 17/03/2007 2:59 am
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

I concur, it did not deliver. Posting in a non-legendary thread. :roll:

Posted : 17/03/2007 3:56 pm
Page 1 / 2