Clear all

PlaneTalk - The Totally Different Guitar Instruction Book

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Would you like to be able to look down and see your whole fretboard as friendly, familiar, well beaten territory ... no matter the music is doing? Literally see melody, riffs, licks, double stops, all in the context of the moment?

Read Nick Torres' review here.

Put all those scales, modes and boxes on the back burner ... learn the trick to seeing melody now.

http://www.thatllteachyou.com is where to read all about the book/DVD that will free you up forever more.

Kirk

Posted : 04/10/2006 7:36 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It is an excellent book. :!:

Posted : 04/10/2006 10:10 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

The book alone as a sperate item might be a good option. I'm intrigued by the method, but I can't afford to buy anything at the mo... let alone paying extra for something that I can possibly live without. Keep us posted if you ever change things around a little :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 04/10/2006 10:39 am
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I used to sell them separately, but it was in fact customers who suggested I combine the two into one product ... that they really do belong together as the package. What the book describes in detail, the DVD demonstrates in no uncertain terms. I was leery of doing it, but it's proved to be the right way to go. The two together leave you in no doubt as what the 'trick' is to seeing the fretboard in this clean, uncluttered way.

Nick, can I send you a DVD so you can review it too?

Kirk

Posted : 04/10/2006 10:50 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'm pretty sure I could figure out the trick without the DVD. All of your customers must be rich old men because for 82 dollars I can buy a whole bunch of books from Amazon.com...

Wow, that is alittle steep. :shock: Why is it $69.95 + $12.00 for US/Canada? Maybe you should consider offering them seperatley and as a package?

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 04/10/2006 11:14 am
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I'm pretty sure I could figure out the trick without the DVD. All of your customers must be rich old men because for 82 dollars I can buy a whole bunch of books from Amazon.com...

I know quite a few people who've bought a whole bunch of books from Amazon and all they've got to show for it is an impressive looking bookshelf. Countless thousands of books and DVDs are available but 99.9% of them are not going to address their specific problems. Unfortunately, they don't know that until it's too late so those they buy are doomed to stay on the bookshelf gathering dust - a bit like the higher frets of their guitars.

So how can you sort the good from the irrelevant and the garbage? Simply - by reading reviews from people who know what they're talking about when it comes to addressing the problems faced by all aspiring guitarists. When people such as Nick or David highly recommend any method or product, such as "Planetalk" or NoteBoat's "Music theory for guitarists", it immediately raises them to the status of "worthy of serious consideration" - In other words 'The real deal'.

Posted : 04/10/2006 12:18 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

There's the trick, and there's seeing it applied.

The book explains the trick - which I don't think of as a trick at all, by the way. It's a useful tool that helps you visualize chord structures (intervals) along the fretboard. Kinda like some CAGED systems, but significantly easier to grasp and implement. The essence of CAGED is crystallized in PlaneTalk.

The DVD shows Kirk's application of the PlaneTalk methodology. It REALLY helps demonstrate the concepts from the book.

Compare the price to a handful of lessons. What I learned from Kirk several months ago is still fresh in my mind, and I use it nearly every time I pick up my guitar or bass.

Value added.

If I have one criticism, is that I think it should also come with a tablature/notation booklet showing what Kirk is playing. On the other hand, it's ultimately about improvisation so that may defeat the purpose.

My 2cents.

YMMV.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 04/10/2006 3:17 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

By the way, I believe it was actually pressure from Kirk's disciples - I mean those of us who frequent the private PlaneTalkers forum - that led him to combine the book and DVD into a single package. The vast majority of us believe that the two are fundamentally related, and that one is incomplete without the other. Maybe not all, but most. We can debate the price, but it was well worth it for me.

Posted : 04/10/2006 3:30 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Kirk, I'd be happy too.

And Slej is right, it isn't really a trick, it's a way of seeing.

Posted : 04/10/2006 6:08 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

But, but, I don't want the DVD. :cry: I don't care what other people think I should have. It's my money and I want the book...

I agree that I wish that the two were sold seperately and I think its worth while for you as a potential customer to say so. However, its not a product being sold so its really not something getting worked up over.

However, as someone else stated, if this many of my fellow GNers say that its worth it then you can bet I will put it on my list.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 04/10/2006 10:22 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Another convert! Welcome to the brotherhood!

Posted : 12/11/2006 12:22 pm
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I bought the DVD and The Book. :oops: I just want to let everyone know that it's worth 70 dollars. Buy It Now! Jeez, there must be some sort of subliminal messages on that DVD of his. :lol: Seriously, it's cool...I'm officially a PLANETALKER. Self proclaimed of course.
Hi, SporT ToXin ... glad to hear that you took the plunge. Pretty neat, huh? And, the best part is, the more you use this mind-set, the more it becomes the only thing you ever need think about ...

BTW, What's your username at the PT forum?

Kirk

Posted : 12/11/2006 11:59 pm
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Just adding my two cents: I have become a Plane Talker also and I'm happy to be there, maybe because the strong melody orientation of the method.

Posted : 27/12/2006 1:29 am