Clear all

Shanty Town - Something I know you might like VIDEO INSIDE

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I posted this on APM to but I knew some of you might like it too..
============================================
MY POST

My old friend Eddie Tigner plays this song almost everytime we go out. Amazing how old songs grow on you but something charming about this stuff. What refreshed my interest was a video I saw online of Hacksaw Harney playing on a 1970s video after being rediscovered. He had not played in over 20 years (see video below) and course he passed away before I ever even heard of him. Never the less he seems to have been a fantastic player and even though his chops are kinda weak on this 30 year old video he had in all fairness not been playing in 20 years. You can still feel and hear how incredible he is as a rhythmic ragtime player. His timing is perfect even though his notes are not clear and his fingers are not quite in shape and precise. Something I also notice many Gary Davis recordings suffered from. Lack of cleanly played notes. But this type of playing is very hard. I still left out some of the cool chords he did up the neck which are some very cool things. I will try to include that stuff later. If I ever master this song I might even do a more formal beginners lesson on it. The cool thing is you can play this song by strumming or any method. The chords are what are so cool.

See this one first....
Hacksaw Harney Video from the 1970s rediscovered moment

See this one for my rough interpretation.
My Version that is very much a work in progress - WMV MOVIE

Some Lyrics as I know them from playing with my old friend that has peformed this song his whole life.

C-------------E----------A
There was a shanty in ole shanty town

D------------------D#--------E-------D-------C---A
It's roof hung so low .... it almost touched the ground

------F------------Bb7----------C-----------A
That millionaire shack keeps calling me back

-------D--------G7---G------C-----------C, C7, F, Ab, C, G
That shanty in ole shanty town ---- turnaround

I hope some of you have as much fun as I have with this. I might post in here and one or two of my fave places. Enjoy the music...

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 03/02/2005 10:20 pm
(@jadda918)
Trusted Member

very cool video, even though he said he hadn't played in 20 years he sounded great to me. I'm still workin on some of your other stuff but i'll just add this to the list. keep um comin
Thanks

"Life Is Beautiful,
Life Is A Struggle,
Life Is A Beautiful Struggle" - Mos Def

Posted : 03/02/2005 11:11 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very cool! Gonna start working on this right away. Thanks for the post little brother. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 05/02/2005 10:22 am
(@jd-payne)

Thx for sharing little brother, I also wanted you to know that I am enjoying the lessons I purchased off your site as well. You make it very enjoyable to learn with your detailed lessons, ty so much ;) I will be checking out more of them here shorly once I get them mastered.

AKA.. DaBlitzer

Posted : 09/02/2005 8:51 am
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thx for sharing little brother, I also wanted you to know that I am enjoying the lessons I purchased off your site as well. You make it very enjoyable to learn with your detailed lessons, ty so much ;) I will be checking out more of them here shorly once I get them mastered.

AKA.. DaBlitzer

Thank you and everyone for checking out my stuff and visiting this site :)

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 09/02/2005 11:17 am
(@bill_gates_jr)
Eminent Member

Doc watson rocsss as far as melodic picking and his vocals are are second to none . In my opinion amonst the bluegras legends
Would you have a take on the tennesee stud in your lesson library !
Pricesless
thanks for everything so far mastercard to follow

Posted : 23/02/2005 11:38 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Doc watson rocsss as far as melodic picking and his vocals are are second to none . In my opinion amonst the bluegras legends
Would you have a take on the tennesee stud in your lesson library !
Pricesless
thanks for everything so far mastercard to follow

No I am sorry I dont but I will take a look at it. I worship Doc's playing but I fall short of that summit. I will try though in the future. I can only barely play a few of his.

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 17/05/2005 3:32 am