Clear all

Slide Guitar

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@blaine)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I just kinda picked up slide guitar and I wondered if anyone knows any sites or places on Guitarnoise that has information on slide playing such as tunings to use and such... Right now I'm using this tuning: D G D G B D... im not sure what it is but it works...I use it to play "Traveling Riverside Blues" by Zepp. That's the only song I know how to play with a slide.. oh yea, and "Seven Nation Army" by the white stripes... if anyone has any feedback, let me know...

Blaine Adams

Posted : 04/07/2004 1:45 am
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

strummeronline.com or something i think.

Bigroadblues.com too.

I forget others. Im reallly tired and realy not thinking. I sleep now.

aka Izabella

Posted : 04/07/2004 11:12 am
(@blaine)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

lol.. thanks.. i'll check em out

Blaine Adams

Posted : 04/07/2004 7:16 pm
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member

I have some information up at my site about dropped D tuning, which is what I use. It's just the bass string down to D, so it's basically standard tuning. You'll be surprised at how versatile this tuning is. The best part is that you don't need to re-map your fretboard, and everything you discover you can use with slide can also be used without.

Go to http://planetalk.thatllteachyou.com/home.html and look for the "Slide guitar lessons" link.

Slide really is the most fun of all styles in my opinion. I've just finished spending a couple of hours noodling away myself.

Kirk

Posted : 04/07/2004 11:57 pm
(@blaine)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

yeah, i use drop D all the time... there's only one other tuning i know to use a slide with.... E A E A C# E... which would be Open A Tuning... it works pretty well...

Blaine Adams

Posted : 05/07/2004 12:11 am
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

oh yeah, his too. kirk's site is one of the original sites i learned to play slide from i think. That and that bigroadblues place. I remember feeling sad when Kirk's site went down (i forget when but i couldnt get on it, i had to find a new site, that mighta been before i found the wonder that is GN, no i dont think, my god im rambling). yeah. Its a good site. I remember looking at a tab of georgia on his site and thinking "my god, i give up". Good thing i didnt :).

aka Izabella

Posted : 05/07/2004 8:57 am
(@blaine)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

lol.. ok... i'll check it out...

Blaine Adams

Posted : 05/07/2004 4:08 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The open tuning I like is open G.......

D G D G B D as opposed to standard tuning,
E A D G B E....

you only have to re-tune 3 strings and it's pretty easy to tune back......

You can play some great blues and rock with this tuning - Vigilante Man and Rocky Mountain Way are fairly easy.....and I think this is a tuning that George Thorogood uses a lot.....Bad to the Bone springs to mind....

A few old Stones songs too - No Expectations is easy in open G.......

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 07/07/2004 7:27 am
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Open G is very popular amongst the popular music crowd. Many blues staples have been played using this tuning.

aka Izabella

Posted : 07/07/2004 7:34 am
(@acceptedone)
Eminent Member

Open G is my favorite slide tuning... it is to me, the most versatile, plus a Capo at the 2nd fret gives you open A which is equally as versatile (even though you can do the same thing with ANY open tuning, given the popularity of G, i really like that)

Posted : 07/07/2004 12:15 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

if you down load the audio phonics tuner to your pc it has many different tunings open d and g are the most common. also i suggest Brian robertsons "learn slide guitar 1 & 2 " you can order from his website
"big road blues" these are well worth the money :D :D ---the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 14/11/2004 12:14 pm