2 x tube amps into 1 cab....?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@oldskoolrob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Howdy groovers,
I have a 13w@8ohms tube amp and a 25w@8ohms tube amp and 1 4x12 cab [8 ohms]. I was hoping to have both connected to the cab and run an A/B switch between my guitar and the amps to get my clean/driven sounds. So effectively I'm switiching the input signal between amps. If they're both joined to the same cab will power from the 1st amp go back into the output of the 2nd amp and wreck it?? Would diodes in the output leads to prevent this?? If so, what type/size??
Cheers,
Rob.

Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

It shouldn't...but leave the power off to one amp without a load on the output. Use TWO pole breaker switches, not SINGLE so you cut both Active and Neutral. This makes it impossible to run power to the wrong amp.

You sound nuts, too. :lol:

Have fun...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@oldskoolrob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hmm... I was going to have power running to both amps constantly, just switch the input signal from one to the other. What I've decided to do now is split the cab so each amp has 2 speakers each (spoke to bloke who built the amps and he said 16phms will be fine with them) and then neither is ever unloaded :)

ReplyQuote
(@oldskoolrob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Oh, and I am nuts.
:P

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You may be crazy...

This won't work for several reasons. Splitting the cabinet into pairs won't sound right, as it's designed for all 4 drivers moving together. As noted above, you can't connect the outputs of two different amps to each other - smoke ensues. Diodes don't work with AC (sound) signals...

Your best chance is to use a A/B Speaker select box. These have heavy duty switches or relays and can be configured to alternate between two amps. Just check to make sure that the amps don't mind being disconnected from the speakers (eg no load).

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Here are a few.
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--AB-Selectors--2604

ReplyQuote