Clear all

5W tube amp suggestions

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@budysr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking to get a small tube amp for around the house so I don't have to move my blues jr. around when I play in other rooms. I also like the idea of being able to hopefully crank it up and get a nice breakup without harrassing the neighbors :shock:
Anyways....lookin on GC,s website, I see the Epi valve jr., the fender champ 600, a vox, and bugera v5 that are all under 200 which is the price range I wanna stay in. Whatcha guys think? This bugera has more controls(namely reverb) than the others, but I've never heard of that brand. Is it a junk brand? I'm a fan of fender stuff, but I'll buy whatever sounds good for the price

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I'm looking to get a small tube amp for around the house so I don't have to move my blues jr. around when I play in other rooms. I also like the idea of being able to hopefully crank it up and get a nice breakup without harrassing the neighbors

5 watts is too loud for that :shock: I do it with my Epi Valve Jr. but I use an attenuator. If you're seriously looking for a bedroom amp you can crank, I'd look at these:

Blackheart Killer Ant Half Stack

Vox AC4TV Half Stack

Vox AC4TV combo

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I recommend the Epi Valve Jr. I have the stack and also use an attenuator.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I like the Valve Junior precisely because of its minimalist, one knob design. It's a very retro copy of an old small lap steel amp, but with excessive gain on the volume knob if you keep cranking it. Yeah, if you want to run it up into output distortion it's LOUD! I don't run mine with an attenuator, but have used an overdrive pedal for "preamp" distortion at lower volumes. Sounds good to me. Usually I just turn the volume where I want it, and the tone is what it is.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I have a Fender Champ, I like the tone but the Epi sounds good to me as well.

I had to change an amp because it broke. No problems with the second amp.

ReplyQuote
(@clancyw)

I have the champ 600 and i'd say it's a pretty good choice. you can crank it and then just mess with the volume on your guitar to keep it at bedroom levels. Has an amazing clean tone aswell

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I have a Vox DA5, but it's not tube.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

This little baby works for me with 6 watts, and if you reeeeaaaalllly like Fender, then the new Champ, 40 years after.

However, the Epi Valve Jr. is a screamer, has a die-hard following, Bunch O' Hot Rodders and a forum too, I would guess.

Either one, set up right, and I'm pretty sure I'd agree with the attenuator, or a supermod of some type, are GRRRRREAT!

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@budysr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I wound up going with the fender champ 600(at least for a 30 day trial). was an early christmas present. I really like the pure tube tone it has and its not too loud at all(the whole point since I have a blues jr in the house as my main amp) BUT, as I have noticed, the speaker seems to be questionable, and I have seen some you tubes of speaker and also tube upgrades that had good results. Whatcha guys think....doesn't seem to cost much to mod the amp. I would like to bump it up a little if possible.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Here are the professional's choice of tube mods for your new little beauty. http://thetubestore.com/champion600.html

You could google actual mod kits, I don't want to make another big splash, or a presentation - just find an Amp 'wizard'.

I was on the Firebottle forum for years, was greatly outclassed but learned from the engineers, industry people and pros.

That would be something like this for my amp from Dan Torres http://www.torresengineering.com/champchampkit.html

I also met Mike Kropotkin there; the guy is just way too smart!, he can do anything, even with a simple old butterknife.

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/newsletter_list.asp?Category=Repair%20/%20Modifications&CategoryID=16

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I was on the Firebottle forum for years, was greatly outclassed but learned from the engineers, industry people and pros.
Same here! The Music Electronics Forum is supposed to be its successor, but it's never seemed the same and I'm not on there so regularly now.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote