Clear all

A kind of metal type question

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@full-fathom-five)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok here's the thing. I was in the guitar shop at the weekend looking at gear and there's a kid playing some metal chops.

I didn't really think about this until after I'd left otherwise I would have made a note of what he was playing but...

It reminded me I know very little about metal but I'm keen to be able to play as wide a variety of material as possible. This isn't a technique question more a "how do you get that sound" question.

I've got a Telecaster and a very lame amp I'm intending to replace with something pricier and with more options asap (perhaps a Vox)

How do you get that metal sound? Is it the guitar, the amp or effects?
I don't fancy having to go buy a Gibson Explorer and Mesa Boogie amp just to try out playing metal but is this what's required?

To give an example - The intro to "The Struggle within" by Metallica...

(Not exclusively that sound but to give you an idea.)

Can anyone help?

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Metal is probably the genre where you have the greatest possible selection of equipment that can take you where you want to go. Because you'll be masking much of your guitar's primary tone with distortion, that aspect of the guitar becomes slightly less important.

I would say that the amplifier is more important than the guitar in acheiving a traditional metal type distortion. The other big key is to to scoop your mids. Bass 8, mid 2, treble 9 will put you in a metallica'ish place. Adjust to taste.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@full-fathom-five)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanking you kindly.

A certain amount of experimentation coming up I think...

ReplyQuote