Notifications
Clear all

A Peavey Bandit 112 or a Crate FXT30?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@littlebadboy)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone! I recently got a Crate FXT65. It was too loud living in a townhouse. The school's music teacher where I work at bought it from me so I am currently looking. I saw a Peavey Bandit 112 at a Pawnshop for $125 and a Crate FXT30 at craiglist for the same price. The FXT30 would be great for a practicing and playing in my townhome but I know for a fact that the Peavey Bandit 112 is one of the best solid state amps out there but still loud. I thought the FXT30's built in effects would be cool and small enough for a home setting, but I also thought that the Bandit 112 would be great just in case there will be that chance of playing outside. In fact, I play at our school's programs sometimes.

I feel torn apart between the two. I am on a budget and I am also hoping that I would bargain a good price for the two.

Thank you masters!

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Don't some of the newer Bandits have a power level feature to reduce the power output? I think it's like 25% 50% 100%. Depending on whats in the pawn shop, if it had that feature the peavey might be right for your needs.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@littlebadboy)
Topic starter  

Don't some of the newer Bandits have a power level feature to reduce the power output? I think it's like 25% 50% 100%. Depending on whats in the pawn shop, if it had that feature the peavey might be right for your needs.
Thank you very much for your reply!

Oh I found a Peavey Special 130 that I am sure I can get for $70. Speaker is kinda strange though... the middle of the magnet is hollow, I can see right through the front cover grill/cloth.

Thoughts? Anyone?

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Any amp you get turned up to 10 will be too loud for a townhouse . The master volume control is capable of allowing any level you want . There are even headphone jacks on a lot of modern amps to allow you almost silent practicing , for everyone else but you . In fact there are headphone amps that cost very little that sound awesome . A lot of effect pedals also have headphone jacks . You don't have to piss off your neighbors unless you want to .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@littlebadboy)
Topic starter  

Any amp you get turned up to 10 will be too loud for a townhouse . The master volume control is capable of allowing any level you want . There are even headphone jacks on a lot of modern amps to allow you almost silent practicing , for everyone else but you . In fact there are headphone amps that cost very little that sound awesome . A lot of effect pedals also have headphone jacks . You don't have to piss off your neighbors unless you want to .

Thank you for your advice. I practice along an MP3 player sometimes and there are times I like to hear what my tone would sound like out there in the open. But I get your point...

To complicate things, I found a Line 6 Spider II 30. I kinda like it because I was thinking of selling my Digitech RP55 and get a Line 6 FV4 footswtich for it. Pawnshop is selling for $90, I think I could get it for $60. My only concern is that it is 30W. I wonder if it is enough when I play at the school gym.

So I guess my choices are the Peavey Bandit 112 and keep my Digitech RP55 or the Line 6 Spider II 30. Maybe I should create a separate thread for this...

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

ANY amp that can get loud enough for a venue is probably not going to be very suitable for home practice.

That lets out anything over 1 watt, which can still generate 85 to 110 decibels depending on the speaker.

My preferred travel/low volume practice amp is a Danelectro Honeytone.
http://www.danelectro.com/more_honey.html

Oh yeah - the Honeytone is nice for recording some things too . . .

95% of my shows I do with a Blues Jr. Plenty of volume for small to mid-size venues.
Outdoor and large stage gigs would be done with my '59 Bassman.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote