Clear all

Acoustic amp use

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Is it possible to use an acoustic amp for an electric guitar. I like the idea of having a mic input on my amp.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. As long as you play clean. Overdrive it into distortion and you'll smoke the tweeter.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Smoking tweeter is a GREAT band name! :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

+1
8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Question to Ricochet
"Yep. As long as you play clean. Overdrive it into distortion and you'll smoke the tweeter."

If one use "a digital sound simulator" as a V-Amp or Line Pod the distorsion is not from an overdrive damp , but from digital sound processor with more controlled sound levels.
Is the risk of blowing the tweater as high then?

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think it could be. The issue is the high percentage of higher harmonics in clipped waveforms, which the crossover sends to the tweeter, resulting in overload. The upper limit of clipping is a square wave, which approaches 40% THD relative to the fundamental sine wave. If it's EQ'd so the higher harmonics are kept down, no sweat.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Isn't Smoking Tweeter against the law :lol: :lol:

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I am going to disagree with Ricochet on this one . I tried many years ago to use my home stereo system as an amp by hooking directly up to my electric guitar . If I tried to get any volume out of it at all , the piezo tweeters would begin crackling so I realised that was not going to work out . However , when I connected a "Rockman" headphone amp in between guitar and stereo , I could play as loud as I wanted ( love that Boston sound ! ) . What the technical difference is I cannot say . But think about it . If your stereo (with tweeter in the system) can play an electric guitar recorded on whatever media you are using and faithfully reproduce the sound , it must be possible . I , myself , would not be afraid to try a device like the V-amp or Line Pod through an acoustic amp , starting at a very low volume , of course . I would use the line out or headphone output and keep the gains very low to begin with and adjust from there .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I think he was speaking specifically about the tweeter in an acoustic amp.

That being said, it's quite common to hear of people using keyboard amps with their digital processors. Is there a big difference between the tweeter in a keyboard amp vs. one in an acoustic guitar amp? I have no idea ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

A tweeter is a tweeter . I have also seen the same effect when plugged into a PA system . If you have ever plugged an electric guitar directly into a mixing board you will experience the same tweeter overload that I experienced in my home stereo . Electric guitar amps don't have tweeters in them . When they are recorded it is either with a microphone in front of the speaker cabinet or through a direct frequency compensated line-out which automatically rolls off the high frequencies to make it sound like a miked cabinet . Many guitar pedals and multi-effect processors have line outs made to go into mixing boards , which is what an acoustic amp is - a powered mixer with one , two or more channels into a single combo amplifier which also happens to have a tweeter in it .

P.S. An acoustic amp is designed to accept either a high impedence signal (guitar pick-up , hi-Z microphone , etc. ) or a lo-Z microphone (XLR style) whereas the keyboard amp is designed for line-level signals . I suppose there could be some that do both .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Isn't Smoking Tweeter against the law :lol: :lol:

Only if you inhale. :lol:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote