Notifications
Clear all

acoustic bass amp for acoustic guitar

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@geek_gets_girl)
Topic starter  

i know you can use a bass amp for an electric guitar, but can you use an acoustic bass amp with an electric acoustic guitar?
Because acoustic bass amps are a lot cheaper than guitar amps. why is this? and dont warn me because there wont be enough mids and highs because i would use an acoustic modeling pedal, and a crybaby wah pressed all the way up for extra treble boost.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Because acoustic bass amps are a lot cheaper than guitar amps. why is this?

Hmmm... here are some popular "acoustic bass amps" and their prices:
Acoustic Image Contra combo - $1050
EA Micro III (head only) - $650
Gallien Krueger MB150S-112 combo - $700
Phil Jones Flightcase combo - $900
Phil Jones Super Flightcase - $1200

Which "lot cheaper" ones are you looking at?

Anyway, yes, you can use a bass amp with an acoustic/electric guitar, but it may sound boomy even with your pedals. Go to a store and try a few with your guitar and see how they sound. If you like one and it's at your price point, then go for it. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It'll work. So will a keyboard amp. Don't overdrive one of these amps or use heavy distortion. Creates too much high frequency harmonic energy that gets shunted to the tweeter and can fry it. (Many bass amps don't have tweeters, for one of those ignore this.) If you want a clean tone, you'll likely be happy.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@geek_gets_girl)
Topic starter  

i didnt mean that all bass amps are cheaper, but the power is a lot cheaper. a 2 input,60 watt combo for my acoustic was going to be 400, but i looked into bass amps and i could get a 250 watt head and a cab for the same price.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Well you specified "acoustic bass amp," which there really isn't such a thing, but some do a much better job with acoustic instruments than others. But now you seem to be talking about bass amps in general.

Don't buy based on power ratings. Unless you're using it as a stand-alone PA in a large hall, or playing some sort of acoustic death metal with a hard-hitting drummer, the odds of your needing 250w for an acoustic guitar are slim. What kind of gigs are you playing?

Personally, I think acoustic guitars sound like crud through bass amps. You'd be better off with a keyboard amp or powered monitor, especially if you're fronting it with the modeling pedal.

Or, if you find that you really want a bass head for the power, don't use the preamp; instead, run your modeling pedal to the head's effects return jack, and you'll have loads of clean power. And don't use a bass cab - get a PA cab instead; it'll handle the power just as well without coloring the sound. I built my own with an Eminence Beta 10A speaker; very inexpensive, and small, but handles 250w and has a nicely balanced sound - great for acoustic guitars and for guitar modeling pedals/amps.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote