Notifications
Clear all

Amp Advice - Newbie

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@shaolindelt)
Topic starter  

About me - just starting out, zero playing experience and have a Squier Strat that is being set up in the shop right now. Looking for a good amp to start playing. Would like something that has a decent sound, but I know I'm now going to be good enough initially to really tell the difference. The big piece - definitely want one with a headphone out.

Music style - going to be playing a bit of everything, but not looking for a metal sound - more into cleaner jazz/blues, rock (Pink Floyd), Eric Clapton/SRV, etc.

Budget - would like to stay around $150-$250 to start out, but flexible. Definitely considering used as well.

Other Considerations - Being new, I don't understand too much how the amp affects playing sound (I'm sure I'll learn, but have yet to play a note through an amp, so . . . ) so part of me is thinking a good modeling amp with a variety of features. Something that maybe doesn't do anything super well, but does a few things decent enough for me to leave the amp and say "I want my next amp to do XXXX better".

I've found the following so far here in Louisville, KY (where I'm at)

VOX VT50
Peavey Bandit 112
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Champion 40
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Fender Mustang V2 (I and II)
Roland 20 XL

(@kopfschmerzen)
Trusted Member

Frankly speaking, it doesn't matter what amp do you choose. It must have 'cd/aux in' and model a range of sounds from clean to metal, that's all. I wouldn't care how good the amp is at modelling, it should just get you started. After a couple of years you'll know better what do you need, anyway. Consider buying a used amp, you'll save a bit now and loose less selling it after a while.

So, choose one that has cd/aux in, headphones out, and looks great ;)

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Check out the new Peavey Vypyr VIP line . They have the ability to play guitar , acoustic and electric , and can also be used for a bass guitar . They are modeling amps that you can make your electric guitar sound like an acoustic or bass guitar and much more without switching instruments . They are also in your price range .

P.S. They have headphone outs and cd/aux/MP3 inputs .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@thefretzone)

Cusack Hellhound. You can get one at www.thefretzone.com. Great amp hand made by Cusack Music. They used to be made by reverend but Cusack bought them out and carries on the tradition. They are made to order, there is a head cab option or a combo option, you can search reverend hellhound on youtube to hear some clips. designed by Joe Naylor

ReplyQuote
 Isom
(@isom)
Eminent Member

Go to a pawn shop and try a few out. Make sure that they work well for you, and have no background, or buzzing noises. You might even get them to lower the price just a little more because they know that you are shopping around. :twisted:

:note2: :note1: :note2:

Win Free Gear @ AmazonMusicGear.com

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

My main amp is a VOX ad30vt. Its really a nice amp that sounds good, and gives you a good mix of sounds. It was good for me to work with as a first amp till I learned what I like. One downside is no way to input a CD player/Ipod.

Also I recommend playing your type of guitar [or better then one you have] through it. I say that because I picked up a small practice amp for my daughter and wile it sounds awesome playing her mini strat, and my single coil lap steel through it, my LP sounds like poo through it.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@fanomar)

An amp that at least has a reverb feature is good enough for starters. To me, at least it sounded good than those without.

I think Marshall used to have some cheap amps - the MG50s or something along that line that does have a reverb feature. I used to have that, and I feel that it's worth every penny. Check that out if you happen to find one. :)

ReplyQuote