Clear all

Amp Head and Cab

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a GK Backline 600 bass amp that puts out 300 Watts at 4 ohms and I've been looking for a cab to go with it. In the meantime, I have an old 2x12 cab that's been sitting around forever and I was wondering if I can use it with my amp until I find something better.

There is no name on the cab but it has two 12 inch Celestion G12H-100 8 ohms speakers in it and on the back of the cab it says 200W 4 ohms. I know I should run a cab of at least 300 Watts at 4 ohms, but for now I'm wondering if would be OK as long as I don't crank it.

Also, I'm not 100% sure it is a bass cab. But it does have a closed back and it looks like a bass cab since it has a large metal grate on the front instead of fabric.

So do you think it's safe to run this cab at moderate volume?

Thanks,
Dave

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yes, that cab will work fine. But those are well known guitar speakers, not bass. It will work fine unless you really push it. But I wouldn't be afraid to crank it up quite a bit, just don't max your amp out. You can usually hear when you are overpushing speakers, they will distort. So don't do that.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I had a feeling they were guitar speakers.
Thanks for the info Wes!

ReplyQuote