Notifications
Clear all

Amp heads?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@12barsteve)
Topic starter  

How does one use an amp head at home if they dont want a 4 x 12 cabinet taking up half of their room?

Any suggestions welcome (apart from headphones)

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

A 1x12?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@greatone_12)

or a 2x12 their easier to get

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What kind of amp is it. Tube or Solidstate. A Dummyload with a headphone out. Any single speaker that matchs the amps Omh's will work.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

All this is probably only relevant if you have lots of money to toss around, a 2x12 usually doesn't have any smaller a footprint than a 4x12.

So if you're only looking for smaller size... You can probably find or build a 1x8 or 1x10 cab (with the appropriate impedance). Why exactly are you opposed to using headphones? The dummy load + the headphones is definitely the way to go.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

Yes impedence is important but arnt you forgetting something very important? the wattage? you hook a 100 watt guitar head into a 5 watt speaker and turn the volum up youl burn the cone out. there are solutions if you build your own or buy one. Get speakers that are either a 1x 12 with the corect wattage and impedence. Or 2x 12 (I think they are usually two 4 ohm speakers to make the 8 ohm) and just ADD the wattage together. and so on just keep ading the wattage. If you buy them then you dont really have to worry about the impedence jsut the wattage, but if you make them then you must take it into consideration.

Good Luck,
Bstguitarist
KB1LQC

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote