Clear all

Amp Huntin! Peavey or Fender?

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have been looking for a nice clean channel in a tube emp, and I ended up at a Peavey Classic 30, and a Fender FM 30w. I really like the uses of both, and I am now planning to go with one of them and a Behringer V-Tone effects thingy. I really love the overdrive and the clean on the Peavey, but does anyone have any prior bad experience with this amp?

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Just my 2 cents. I have a Peavy practice amp. This things only 15 watts, and It sounds loads better than most other amps my buddies have. It has a great tone. If this one is anything like mine, I'd get it.

How much is it? Are you getting it online?

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The Classic 30 is the real thing; it's a well-respected amp and that even gets props from many diehard Fender tube guys. Good for small to medium clubs and for recording. Had I played one before buying my Classic 50 4x10, I would have gone for the 30 -- same great sounds, better portability.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

When I started playing around 25 years ago I had a Peavey Backstage 30. It was good for starting out, but I was never impressed with the sound. I'll make a jump and say that the Classic 30 is almost the same. Anyway, I got another peavey and was never quite impressed with that one either. After that one, I bought a Fender Princeton Reverb II and have been very happy with that. It's probably because it's a tube amp. Just sounds "fuller" and "warm" to me. Definitely try them both and see which ones sound good to you. My vote is for Fender.

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

When I started playing around 25 years ago I had a Peavey Backstage 30. It was good for starting out, but I was never impressed with the sound. I'll make a jump and say that the Classic 30 is almost the same. .

Not a really valid comparison. The Classic 30 is an all-tube tweed-type amp, while the Backstage 30 is a solid stage practice amp. They both bear the Peavey marque, but the similarities end there.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

well, then my next query is if the behringer V-Tone or the Line 6 Pod are good for all tube amps like the Classic 30

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

well, then my next query is if the behringer V-Tone or the Line 6 Pod are good for all tube amps like the Classic 30

Do you mean a V-Tone or a Vamp? The only V-tone products I find are integrated with amps. The Vamp (1 or 2) is a standalone modeling device similar to a Pod -- I'm assuming you might mean the Vamp.

Using Pod or Vamp with a Classic 30 as effects processors yes, but for amp modeling probably not. I've tried my Pod 2.0 in the effects loop (guitar into Pod, Pod into power stage) of my Classic 50 and never really got a great tone with the amp models, unless it was a full-on metal distorto sound, which I rarely use. Eventually, I decided to get a boost/overdrive pedal and a Line6 delay modeler to use for FX (between guitar and amp) and enjoy the Classic's native tone. I do the same with my Blues Junior.

The Pod 2.0 has good amp models for recording or using into a PA or an amp with lot's of very clean headroom, but the Classic 30 is neither of these. It has it's own, cool tube tone that is best tweaked with it's tone stack and drive levels (Joe forrok_star would undoubtedly recommend an equalizer or two, plus power attenuator, as well!). If you are considering the the Vamp or Pod for FX processing, go with the Vamp and save yourself the $$ -- the Pod FX are so-so unless you are willing to shell out for a Pod XT or XT Pro.

If you are set on using the amp models in a Pod or similar, a tube amp might not be the best match.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Snoogans

I get tired of recommending it, but the Hot Rod Deluxe has a great clean channel. You will see people complain about it's Drive channels but almost everyone praises the Clean channel. Many claim it is one of the very best Clean amps. The Twin is King. The HRD works great for effects and pedals, I don't know about the modeling sounds.

The Peavey Classic 30 is a great amp. It's clean channel is very good. And it's Overdrive channels get higher praise than the HRD.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you ask me, using a $150 modeling unit through a decent tube amp is a total waste of money, so all you'll use are the effects. Both the POD and V-amp only have 'decent' effects. They are nice to use, but if you don't use the modeling you'll pay too much for it. You might be better off spending the money on three pedals. Assuming the amp has reverb, you can get something like a booster, delay and wah pedal, maybe a flanger/chorus and you're done.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

When I started playing around 25 years ago I had a Peavey Backstage 30.

We got one of those at my school. The sounds is horrible, even compared to my own Peavy Practice amp.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

I'm glad to hear that the Classic 30 is nothing like the Backstage 30. I'm glad to be corrected.

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote