Clear all

Amp Ideas

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@clancyw)
Topic starter  

Just curious to see what the folks out there think

(in your own opinion) What's the baddest amp on the block?

Clearest, most destorted, most powerfull, most whatever. Feel free to mention multiple amps in head or combo form.

Ill start by saying that i've taken a liking to my Carvin V3. I've got 6l6 groove tubes in it right now and it's very similar to a Mesa Dual Rectifier. 3 footswitchable channels, 100 watts, fixed bias, switchable to 50 watts, can run EL34s or 6L6s, each channel has it's own EQ. Only half the price of a new Recto.

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

(in your own opinion) What's the baddest amp on the block?

The one that works best for the music I'm doing at the time. Since I work in multiple genres, I have five #1 amps that range from 5 watts to 120 watts.

There is no ONE best amp, just the best one for what you're doing at the time.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

yeah, that's a loaded question. I assume you're talking about high gain?

The v3 is a great amp. I've used EL34s and 6L6's in it. I know that Carvinites compare it to mesa, but I still think that it's not voiced the same. On the other hand, the other guy in my band has a Mesa Rect-O-Verb (single rec) with 6l6's in it. I don't think that there's anything in it that makes me want to switch to the mesa.

Check out Marshall, Mesa, Diezel, Engl - just to name a few.

ReplyQuote