amp mod

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@plutarch)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I just purchased a Fender Blues Junior. Many of the posts on HarmonyCentral suggest swapping out the speaker and tubes. Is this relatively easy to do? The speaker looks fairly easy. Looks like a couple of screws and two connections. How about the tubes? Can I just purchase other tubes and put them in? I read something about bias adjustment. Would that be necessary?

Thanks

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I would suggest that, before you go out and spend a pile of money on a new speaker or new tubes, you get to know the beast that you've already got.
It could well be that, with a little tweaking of knobs, you can get the sound you are looking for.

Remember that the reviews are from people, whose taste may not be the same as yours - what you call skull tearing distortion may be a mild overdrive to someone else.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@stock28)
Estimable Member

If you do decide to change the tubes, pre amp tubes are just plug and play. Power amp tubes require a rebias of the amp. You can do this yourself if you have the tools and knowledge, otherwise leave it to a tech.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll have to agree with the others, that amp will sound just fine like it is without any mods. Try playing it at it's saturation point and you''ll see. Changing the speaker is pretty staight forward. Which tubes are you talking about?

joe

ReplyQuote
(@plutarch)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I didn't really have any specific speakers or tubes in mind. I was just curious as to the complexity involved.

The Blues Junior was making some irritating vibration sounds with bass notes. I was thinking perhaps I might be able to swap out the speaker and/or tubes to eliminate it.

I exchanged it for a Hot Rod Delux instead.

ReplyQuote