Notifications
Clear all

Amp question

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@clancyw)
Topic starter  

This may sound silly but, i was wondering, Will it damage my amplifier (Marshall AVT50H) if certain knobs such as gain or any of the EQ are turned all the way up? I was told several years ago that it's bad to have any knob fully cranked.

Also, im thinking of upgrading my rig my getting an ENGL tunder 50W. I've heard nothing but good stuff about ENGL as a company, but nothing about this particular amp. Can anyone tell me if this is a smart purchase?

Thanks for any responses

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

10 is ok but only true rockers flirt with 11

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Most amps will be matched with speakers that can handle the full output of the amp, so you shouldn't have any problem cranking it to the max.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

just let me know in advance when you plan to crank it . I'll close my windows.
I have an amp. a Fender Vibrolux Custom. to beautiful 10" Jensens. living in a city I can't crank my amp past four.
and that's in the dead of winter when evryone has their houses shut up tight.

I jam with a friend that lives out in the country side. no one around for a mile or more.
I turned my amp up to 7. it was so loud it scared me. the amp was fine, but the chickens three miles away stopped laying eggs.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

It shouldn't hurt it, but you very well may experience unwanted distortions when playing with the max ranges.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

uh ... maybe it won't hurt it guitar straight-into-amp. but if you are using any effects that provide gain (overdrive pedal, distortion pedal ...), you might want to back the amp volume control off of 11 bit. the best rule of thumb is to use your ears. if it sounds nasty wrong, it probably it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@atguitarist)

I've got a rack set up (SANSAMP PSA-1, Digitech GSP-1101, Carvin TS100 power amp) and I actually run the power amp cranked to 10 and use the volume on the digitech (the preamp is in the effects processor's loop) to control volume - growls and roars like a big block chevy screaming down a dragstrip. This may shorten the life of my tubes but I know it sounds goods since I've gotten lots of compliments from other guitar players at gigs.

ReplyQuote
(@clancyw)
Topic starter  

thanks for the responses guys. I decided to go with a Carvin V3 instead of the Engl. deff a solid purchase.

ReplyQuote