31 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

what kind of music will you be playing?

jtb,

classic rock. Stuff like the Doobie Brothers and Lynrd Skynrd. I'm also a fan of Guns n Roses and a lot of 80's rock.

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

i'd consider getting something that you'll be able to get some decent distortion out of. now granted, i don't know fender amps that well, but i know they aren't renowned for their distortion. just something to think about if you're going to be playing lots of distorted rock.

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

fenders have the best clean channel, imo, there overdrive isn't great, you will need a pedal, check out peavey, great overdrive channel, ok clean 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Is there a big quality difference between an amp that has built-in effects and just a good amp with pedals and effects. It sounds like the latter may be the way to go.

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hello again. I took some of your advice and got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Thanks again.

T

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hello again. I took some of your advice and got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Thanks again.

T

Excellent.... Enjoy it!!! Now get a Tube Screamer and an EQ in front of it and you'll love it even more :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

congrats, listen to dagwood, get a good tubescreamer and a good eq 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a tubescreamer?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

It's a pedal made by Ibanez that distorts your sound. I'm guessing they're recommending that because you picked up a Fender, and this will create the distortion that you could be looking for with some of that 80's rock you like. But, try it out first then see if you want some distortion. You're local guitar shop should have some pedals you can try out too.

PS-The tubescreamer is sometimes regarded as the best tube distortion sound you can get out of a pedal. In fact, another brand made a copy of the tubescreamer and it won in a blind test compared to the Ibanez. I forget the brand name though.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Heck, the Arion Tubulator that's sometimes on sale for $9.99 at MF is said to be a clone of the Tube Screamer TS-808. It's not a bad sounding little pedal. Flimsy for heavy use, but nice to play around with.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

Here's what I was talking about. I think I saw the ad that stated the blind sound test in my most recent GuitarPlayer magazine. It's the BBE Green Screamer (cool name huh?).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-Green-Screamer-Overdrive-Effect-Pedal?sku=157035

About the same price as the Ibanez TS9, or $70 cheaper than the TS808.

I checked out ebay real quick and its about the same price, $99 as it is on websites, but I found one for $70. They look pretty durable, I think I'll have to try one out on my next guitarcenter visit.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member

All of the advice you have had is awesome and very good. BUT!

You always need to remember that going out and getting something because another guitarist said its great can be a big mistake. The best thing to do is go to a music store and try a whole bunch of pedals (in this case some sort of distortion or overdrive) and plug them in, see what takes your fancy - you will know the sound you want as soon as you hear it. Make sure you mess with the settings and try them at different volumes until a certain 'TONE' catches you.

I discovered this when I first started playing and ended up with a whole bunch of pedals that I hated and never used. I have ended up preferring the overdriven sound of my amp and only using a BOSS delay, supershifter and an octave pedal. It was a total waste of cash buying stuff that other people said was great without spending quality time with the stomp box first.

a cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

What moriondor said is true of all gear. Guitars, amps, pedals, pickups, strings...

Just because other folks like and recommend something doesn't mean you'll think it's great. And you may like something that many forumites deride. You have to decide for yourself.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Moriondor and ricochet. That's great advice.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the Hot Rod Deluxe, it is a great amp.

It does have a great clean channel, the Drive channels are OK. I usually use Drive 1 with the Gain down around 2-3, you can get a great Blues tone. But you can't get that great Marshall tone that defines Rock without a pedal.

But this pedal will give you that Marshall tone. Honest.

Marshall Guvnor Plus

This pedal will make your HRD sound like a full Marshall stack. And I'm not kidding. :twisted:

The Ibanez Tubescreamer is great. Go for the TS808. Expensive, but worth it. Great overdrive pedal, not distortion. Great for hot lead guitar.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3