Clear all

amp treble knob "pop"

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hello, i have an amp that is giving me a bit of trouble and my searches havent come up with much that helps..

a while ago i purchased a used 1995 Dean Markley K-15 guitar amp just to mess around with, and i like it just fine. it used to be that it would make an extremely loud popping noise (regardless of what i set the volume knob to) when ever i would turn the treble EQ knob past 1, 2, and 3. now its doing it all over. ive had static on amp knobs before (making small staticy noises when i turn the knob) on my bass amps, and ive always just turned them back and forth a bit and that got rid of it. but the popping noise on this amp just wont go away with a little turning the knob.. right now i have to turn the amp off, dial in the EQ i want, then turn it back on again to avoid getting the popping noise when i turn this treble knob. thats fine for now, but i'd like the problem to go away. any advice on how to get rid of it? the pop is loud enough that i think it could mean potential damage to the speaker if it happens enough. i like this little amp but i just dont get how to get rid of the noise. i am comfortable with taking the treble pot out if i have to and doing whatever i need to do with it, i just dont know what to do to it to fix it.

Derek.

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Seems like the problem is probably a dirty or bad potentiometer. You can buy an electronics contact cleaner and try to clean it. However, sometimes that doesn't work and it needs a new potentiometer, it usually isn't an expensive part.

If you've never worked with electronics before then I'd just take it in to get repaired.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Like Steve-O said, it's probably a wonky pot. I'd try contact cleaner for a quick cheap fix, and then a tech to replace it if that fails.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ive worked with this sort of stuff before i was just wondering if maybe you guys had any other ideas..i'll try that cleaner

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote