Clear all

Amps- heads and cabs

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I know this ground has been covered before, but admittedly with a pretty quick check, I couldn't find a topic that started right at the beginning.

I have no idea about the relationship between a head and its cabinet.

1) Am I right in assuming that if I bought any head (ie. with no cab), it would work with any cab? If not, why?

2) If I bought any combo amp, could I attach it to any cab. I'm more certain that this isn't true, but I couldn't say why. So if not, then what can go to what?

-Can the head of a combo amp ever be used with a different cab. If so, when, etc.
-Can the head of a combo be interchanged between use of its own cab and another cab (mutually independently) with the flick of a switch or a change of plugs or something? Ie. without rewiring/soldering connections.
-Does having a bigger cab (more speakers, not larger cones) mean a higher volume?
-Does having one signal (coming from guitar through a line of pedals) going into two amps come out louder, say if they were both set to 10, compared to only one amp at the end set to 10?

Thanks in advance.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

As long as the impedances of the amp and cab match, and the cab can handle the amp's power, you're fine. Most combos do have output jacks so you can unplug the internal speaker and plug in a cab. If yours doesn't, it's not a big job to add one.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Does a bigger cab mean a bigger volume though or does it provide tonal differences or something? (assuming head is the same)

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Different speakers and cabs always sound different. Often a bigger cab will sound "bigger," but not necessarily. Try and see.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote