Clear all

Anyone try the ZOOM G2.1U??????

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Wondering if I should buy this, it looks pretty cool. I just want to know how the drum machine is and I have also heard the wah is so-so. Also is there a volume control type effect that utilizes the pedal?? Any reviews or thoughts on this pedal will be appreciated. It's pretty cheap and looks sturdy too.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

michhill8

This is a brand new pedal, so I don't know if you will run into anybody that has had experience with it yet. But I personally am a big fan of Zoom pedals. I have owned many brands Digitech, Boss, Arion, DOD, etc... but I think Zoom has the best distortions out there.

I don't think I could say the same about modulations like chorus, phase, tremelo. They are alright, but I've heard better.

I own the GFX-1 and like this new pedal it is metal construction. I think this is fantastic. These pedals are very durable. Zoom products seem to be very well made, I have never had any problems with them.

I would disagree on the Wah. I personally think the Wah on my GFX-1 is great, especially when using a distortion. Most Wahs seem to only sound good with a clean preset, but Zoom's Wah sounds better with distortion. So it is a very modern Wah. The best setting for Wah is "PP".

If this pedal is like mine, you can enable any modulation to be controlled by the foot pedal. So you can adjust the depth of chorus, or the speed of tremelo. And of course, it controls Wah when you use that. The pedal will only control one effect at a time.

When you do not use the pedal to control Wah or any other effect, it automatically becomes a Volume pedal. I am pretty sure that is how it will work on this new pedal as well.

I have seen ads on this new pedal and it looks very exciting. I think it will be very popular. And you can't beat the price. You get a lot for your money with Zoom.

If you do decide to get this, please write us a review.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Hey Mich,

I just purchased a Zoom G2 (not the G2.1U) but I find the drums very good, much better playing with those than a metronone
I was going to buy a drum machine but the G2 was a hundred dollars cheaper and I got all the effects as well.

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I'll probably end up buying it because of the price, and quality, (If it's like yours Wes, then I can only assume). I'll post a review within the next 3 months probably, I'm not sure when I'll buy it.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

michhill8

I have owned my GFX-1 for a year now, still works perfect. It is built like a tank, you could use it as a weapon. :D

And it is amazing what you can get out of these pedals. Most Zoom pedals are very similar in the way you can select effects and edit them. There is a site for the 505II pedal with over 500 presets. It is an amazing site. You can get everything from Dimebag's tone to BB King.

Zoom Patches

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@fluid)
Trusted Member

I've got the G2.1u, picked it up a couple of months ago. I'm a beginner/intermediate so I can't compare it to much other equipment but this is what I can tell you, the construction quality is excellent, it's easy to use, the USB port on the back let's you record to your computer which I have found extremely usefull for practice. It also comes with an LE version of Steinberg Cubase which makes the whole thing a steal. A few friends who're far more accomplished players than I have jammed on it and really liked it. As mentioned above, the drum effects are pretty solid and very flexible. The pedal allows a great deal of customization of effects and the pedal has a good linear feel to it. The only issue I've had is in getting it into it's bypass/tuner mode which requires hitting two foot switches at the same time which is easy in shoes but tricky in socks as I can't span both pedals. Talk about minor annoyances.... Hope that helps!

ReplyQuote