Clear all

Aux adapter for amp?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, i got an old beginners amp that i used to use just as a speaker for my ipod, it had an aux input but it broke....the repair is worth more than the amp...does anyone have any experience using a converter on the guitar input.? whats the price range and where to look?

thanks

(@imalone)
Reputable Member

If I understand correctly you don't want to plug a guitar into it, you want to know if you can plug an iPod output into the guitar-in socket on the amp? Probably not, the iPod is likely to drive the input much too hard (voltage-wise, and the headphone output is going to be low impedance, whereas the guitar-in is high impedance). Even if it did work, it would be going through whatever modelling the amplifier does rather than its clean amplifier for aux in which might not sound great. You might be able to find some kind of attenuator or level converter, but I suspect it would cost more than a cheap set of active speakers.

ReplyQuote
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

my idea was a 1/4 inch (thats a guitar wire size right?) male plug that adapted to a 1/8 female than just plug an aux cord in...the thing is its a line 6 spyder 15w and on the box they advertise that you can plug your ipod in and "play along", which has worked fine until the aux port was broken. are you saying it wont work or it will just work really bad?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I guessing it would just work really bad.

The guitar jack is high impedance (as stated above) and goes through the preamp section which in this case contains a bunch of digital modeling to make the thing respond like various guitar amplifiers. Therre are also effects and equilization. Then it goes to the power amp and this is where your aux jack jumped in.

If you do try it my suggestion would be to keep the IPod's output (volume) extremely low. Select a very clean amp model such as a Fender. Turn the gain AKA distortion all the way downand don't use any effects at all like echo, reverb, phlanging or wha wha or the like. You could fiddle with the EQ. It will still color the sound some but the adapter jack you need is like what? $5 maybe? There could be an annoying buzz or humm too. Your call. This is just what I think, I don't actually know.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The aux input broke... Broke how?

Is the plug mechanically damaged?
Did it get overloaded and let the "magic smoke" out?

If it's just the plug, it should only be a few dollars parts, and maybe half an hour labour.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

well i went to radio shack and got the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and aux chord it was like 8 bucks total, it worked alright on the line 6 15 watt....i was nervous about trying it on my fender frontman 212r but my roommate talked me into trying. Like you said as long as the ipod is turned down it actually sounds great.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Cool!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote