Clear all

bass amp only has 1/4" out

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i recently bought an older early 80's randall RBA-500 head. i love it. but i have a question. if my amp isnt loud enough for the gig and i have to go through the pa system. will i be ok with just a 1/4" output on the back of the amp? i have 2 possible outputs on the back. one is a signal out that runs 0 db at 600 ohms and another is the output on the effects loop which i believe is preamp level output. the problem is, do most modern pa systems have a 1/4" line input or are they all XLR now?

if i had to get something to change it to XLR, would a DI box work? or would the line level be too hot?

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

0dB is nominally line level, so that should be fine. Using a DI to convert to XLR would be very effective. Most mix boards accept both XLR and 1/4" inputs, but if you're using a snake, then there may not be any/many 1/4 channels.

ReplyQuote
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

most places we play at use a snake that runs under the stage and floor.. so i will invest in a nice shielded DI box. been wanting one for recording anyhow so now i guess i have an excuse for one.

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

You could also put a microphone in front of the cabinet . A dynamic mic suitable for bass cabs (or kick drums) is what I use for my band . The bad part about using a direct box is that it doesn't necessarily sound like your amplifier , and I assume you like the sound of the amp because you bought it for the sound , right ? The direct box does not take into account the natural sound of your rig .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote