Skip to content
Bass Guitar through...

Notifications
Clear all

Bass Guitar through Crate 150watt Guitar amp?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 makc
(@makc)
Topic starter  

Sooo i was debating whether or not to get a guitar amp as part of my bass guitar rig. I'm currently playing through an SWR 400watt head, SWR 4X10, through a sans amp preamp. I generally play in the higher ranges with my short scale bass because i pretty much double as a guitarist. I was wonder, if it would be possible to play (loudly) through a guitar amp as well without seriously messing up the amp so i could get the high, overdriven (joy division?) clear sound that im looking for. Hopefully im not damaging my swr.
Thanks.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Hi and Welcome to Guitarnoise.

Anything is possible. You'll have to experiment to see if it works for you. have you considered trying a harmonizer or octivider. Set right you could possibly bring out the sound your searching for.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You can't ever hurt an AMP by playing bass through it, but it is possible to damage some speakers by driving them too hard at bass frequencies, because the "excursion" of the speaker cone is greater at those frequencies. The cone or surround can tear or crack in the worst case. Usually you're not going to hurt anything. If the speaker's ratings are sufficient for the power of the amp, and the rated frequency range goes low enough for your application, go for it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote